Electrostatic charge build up in environmental electron microscopy

In summary, the gas in an environmental scanning electron microscope is electrically conductive and its ionization by the electron beam prevents negative charge accumulation on the sample. This eliminates the need for conductive coating or grounding of the sample.
Alex_F
TL;DR Summary
Mechanism of discharging electrostatic charge in environmental scanning electron microscopy.
Hello,

If I understand it correctly, the samples are grounded inside a scanning electron microscope (SEM) to avoid charge build up through the electron beam. Also the non-conductive are coated with a conductive layer, so they can be grounded as well.

However, I do not know how the charge build up is suppressed inside an environmental electron microscope (ESEM). I have seen articles in which the have studied surface surface morphology of samples made of insulating material without conductive coating (if I am not mistaken).

Could someone please explain the electrostatic charge build up is avoided in ESEM? Do the samples have to be grounded also in ESEM as with SEM?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex_F said:
Summary:: Mechanism of discharging electrostatic charge in environmental scanning electron microscopy.

Could someone please explain the electrostatic charge build up is avoided in ESEM?
Your logic is impeccable. I have no idea of the full answer but I would imagine that it could be to do with the "wet" samples that are mentioned in the Wiki article on ESEM. The system may have limitations?

sophiecentaur said:
Your logic is impeccable. I have no idea of the full answer but I would imagine that it could be to do with the "wet" samples that are mentioned in the Wiki article on ESEM. The system may have limitations?
Thanks for your answer. I suppose that it might be the case that the discharge process relies solely on the presence of humid air inside ESEM to wash off and carry the charges away from the sample, but I am not sure.

What would the electron beam current be? I saw values less than 1μA mentioned and a 20kV accelerating voltage. Perhaps there is a limit to the time that the scan can be run.
If the sample is wet, the discharge could be through the sample itself, though, to the holder. It's got to involve the wetness. I can't think of any other reason to have it wet than to give a path to ground.
Water could affect samples with soluble bits in them so I guess the technique would have limited application.

You don't half learn a lot on PF! Environmental Electron Microscopes - fantastic.

sophiecentaur said:
You don't half learn a lot on PF!
Like the meaning of the term " litote ".

Last time I used the word “litotes” was in O Level Latin. But not the last time I used the grammatical form without realizing it explicitly.

The explanation of discharging given in section Specimen charging (wikipedia on ESEM) is
Instead of this coating, the gas in the ESEM being electrically conductive prevents negative charge accumulation. The good conductivity of the gas is due to the ionization it undergoes by the incident electron beam and the ionizing SE and BSE signals.
This ionization of the gas is the generally accepted explanation. There is no need for humidity or for the sample being grounded.

• Informative
Likes Alex_F, jim mcnamara and sophiecentaur
gentzen said:
The explanation of discharging given in section Specimen charging (wikipedia on ESEM) is

This ionization of the gas is the generally accepted explanation. There is no need for humidity or for the sample being grounded.
That is correct. This is explained very well in this article https://www.nature.com/articles/nmat898.

Likes gentzen

1. What is electrostatic charge build up in environmental electron microscopy?

Electrostatic charge build up is the accumulation of electric charge on the surface of a sample being observed under an electron microscope in an environmental setting. This charge can affect the quality and accuracy of the images obtained.

2. What causes electrostatic charge build up in environmental electron microscopy?

Electrostatic charge build up can be caused by a variety of factors, including the type of sample being observed, the composition of the surrounding environment, and the electron beam itself. It can also be influenced by the properties of the microscope and its components.

3. How does electrostatic charge build up affect environmental electron microscopy images?

Electrostatic charge build up can cause distortions, blurring, and other artifacts in the images obtained through environmental electron microscopy. This can make it difficult to accurately analyze the sample and draw conclusions from the data.

4. How can electrostatic charge build up be minimized in environmental electron microscopy?

There are several methods for minimizing electrostatic charge build up, such as using a conductive coating on the sample, grounding the sample and surrounding environment, and optimizing the microscope settings. Proper sample preparation and handling techniques can also help reduce charge build up.

5. Are there any risks associated with electrostatic charge build up in environmental electron microscopy?

While electrostatic charge build up can affect the quality of images obtained, there are no known health risks associated with it. However, it is important to take precautions to minimize charge build up in order to obtain accurate and reliable data from environmental electron microscopy.