What is Schmidt's Rule and its Meaning?

• Thread starter joelle
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of the expression "a crystal obeys Schmidt's rule," with one person seeking clarification and help. The other person explains that it is likely referring to Goldschmidt's Rule, which is a rule of thumb for substitutions in crystals that conserve oxidation state and ionic radius to minimize strain. They also mention the Shannon-Prewitt tables as a resource for crystal-makers. The conversation also briefly mentions Schmidt's law, a yield rule for single crystals.
joelle
I'd like to know what the meaning of this expression : a crystal obeys schmidt's rule (in fact i don' t know what is the schmidt's rule)
If someone can help me i'll be grateful.
Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is referring to Goldschmidt's Rule, which is an approximate rule of thumb telling you that substitutions that conserve oxidation state and ionic radius (approximately) introduce least strain in a crystal. This is something of an unwritten philosophy for a synthetic inorganic chemist or materials scientist. Pursuant to Goldschmidt's intuition was the excellent and extensive work done by Shannon and Prewitt on the influence of oxidation state on the ionic radius in a crystal. Shannon-Prewitt tables are a crystal-maker's Bible.

V. M. Goldschmidt was an early geochemist who contributed to the rise of crystallography and crystal chemistry in the mid-1920s.

Last edited:
... and Schmidt's law is one classical yield rule used in single crystals,

[tex]
\left|s^{(k)}_{i}\sigma_{ij}n^{(k)}_{j}\right| =\tau_{0}
[/tex]

where [itex]s^{(k)}_{i}[/itex] are the components of the slip direction in the kth slip system, [itex]n^{(k)}_{j}[/itex]is the slip plane normal and [itex]\sigma_{ij}[/itex] the Cauchy stress tensor.

Now, I'm kinda sure that (Perennial's post) is what the OP wants. Ignore my previous post. Having had Goldschmidt sit in the back of my head for years made me think of his rule almost reflexively. Guess I should have Googled before posting to make sure there wasn't a Schmidt's Rule (I do not recall having seen it before).

1. What is Schmidt's Rule?

Schmidt's Rule, also known as the Schmidt Law or the Schmidt-Kennedy Law, is an empirical relationship between the size of a crater formed by a meteorite impact and the kinetic energy of the meteorite.

2. Who discovered Schmidt's Rule?

Schmidt's Rule was first proposed by astronomer Heinrich Wilhelm Matthias Olbers in 1823. It was later refined and popularized by geologist Eugene Merle Shoemaker and physicist Edward Charles T. Chao in the 1960s.

3. What is the purpose of Schmidt's Rule?

Schmidt's Rule is used to estimate the energy of a meteorite impact based on the size of the resulting crater. It is also helpful in determining the size and energy of past meteorite impacts on Earth and other planets.

4. How is Schmidt's Rule calculated?

Schmidt's Rule states that the diameter of a crater is proportional to the cube root of the kinetic energy of the impacting meteorite. This relationship is expressed as D = kE^(1/3), where D is the diameter of the crater, E is the kinetic energy of the meteorite, and k is a constant.

5. What is the significance of Schmidt's Rule?

Schmidt's Rule is significant because it provides a simple and useful way to estimate the energy of meteorite impacts. It has been applied to various planetary bodies, including the Moon and Mars, to study their impact histories. It has also been used to assess the potential damage and effects of future meteorite impacts on Earth.