School rank or school scenery?

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    rank School
In summary, the speaker is currently attending a community college and planning to transfer to a UC school through the TAG program. They have been considering UC Davis, UCSD, and UCSB, but are hesitant about choosing a school in a location that they are already familiar with. They ask for opinions on the matter, to which someone responds by recommending that they choose the best school they can get into and deal with the scenery for four years. They also point out that Davis would offer a different environment compared to San Diego or Santa Barbara.
member 392791
I am at community college right now doing my TAG (transfer admission guarantee) to a UC school. The problem is you only get 1 school to TAG to. I have been thinking about UC Davis, mostly because I've lived in southern california all my life and wanted a change of scenery.

The other schools I am considering are UCSD and UCSB. It looks like santa barbara has the best chemical engineering program, but it's the beach scene that I've seen all my life and I'm over it. Same thing sort of with UCSD being in so cal.

Any opinions on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I'd say go to the best school that you can get into. For four years, deal with the scenery.

Second, I'll agree, Davis looks a *lot* different than San Diego or Santa Barbara. You certainly won't have to worry about the beach there!

1. What factors determine a school's rank?

The factors that determine a school's rank can vary depending on the ranking system being used. Generally, factors such as academic performance, faculty quality, student satisfaction, and research productivity are taken into consideration.

2. How is a school's rank determined?

A school's rank is typically determined by collecting data on various factors and using a specific methodology to calculate a score or ranking. This can include surveys, data from government agencies, and other sources. The specific methodology used may vary among different ranking systems.

3. Does a higher ranked school guarantee a better education?

No, a higher ranked school does not necessarily guarantee a better education. While a higher rank may indicate certain strengths and resources of a school, the quality of education also depends on individual students and their dedication to learning.

4. How important is a school's rank in the college decision-making process?

The importance of a school's rank in the college decision-making process can vary among individuals. Some may prioritize a school's ranking as an indicator of academic excellence, while others may prioritize factors such as location, cost, and specific programs offered.

5. How does a school's scenery affect its rank?

A school's scenery does not typically have a direct impact on its rank. However, a pleasant and well-maintained campus can contribute to the overall student experience and satisfaction, which may indirectly affect a school's rank. Additionally, scenic locations may be more attractive to potential students, leading to a larger applicant pool and potentially impacting a school's selectivity and rank.