Schrodinger equation and free particles

In summary, the functions psi_I = A cos(kx - wt) and psi_II = A sin(kx - wt) are not solutions of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle. However, a linear combination of the two states can be a solution if C and D satisfy certain conditions.
kehler

Homework Statement

Show whether the functions
psi_I = A cos(kx - wt)
psi_II = A sin(kx - wt)
are solutions of Schrodinger equation for a free particle

Homework Equations

Schrodinger equation

The Attempt at a Solution

For psi_I = A cos(kx - wt),
d2psi_I/dx2 = -Ak2psi[/SUB]I[/SUB]
dpsi_I/dt = Awsin(kx - wt)
Substituting into S.E,
ih_bar Awsin(kx - wt) = ((h_bar)2/2m) Ak2psi_I + 0 psi (free particle so V=O)
So it doesn't satisfy the S.E.

For psi_II = A sin(kx - wt),
d2psi_II/dx2 = -Ak2psi[/SUB]II[/SUB]
dpsi_II/dt = -Awcos(kx - wt)
Substituting into S.E,
ih_bar -Awcos(kx - wt) = ((h_bar)2/2m) Ak2psi_II + 0 psi
So it doesn't satisfy the S.E either.

Is this correct? Or is there some way that I'm supposed to manipulate both sides to equal each other? :S

Physics news on Phys.org
hi kehler

as you've shown, they will not be a solution of the Time Independent SE for a free particle by themselves...

How about a linear combination of the 2 states? ie
[tex] \psi = C\psi_1 + D\psi_2 [/tex]

what do C & D have to staisfy to be a solution...?

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to predict the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. Who developed the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926. He was one of the pioneers of quantum mechanics and his equation is considered one of the most important contributions to the field.

3. What is the significance of the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is significant because it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain location at a given time. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level and has been used to make important predictions in the fields of physics and chemistry.

4. What is a free particle in the context of the Schrodinger equation?

A free particle is a particle that is not affected by any external forces. In the context of the Schrodinger equation, it refers to a particle that is not confined by any potential energy barriers. This allows the particle to move freely and its behavior can be described by a simple form of the Schrodinger equation.

5. How is the Schrodinger equation applied to free particles?

The Schrodinger equation for free particles is a simplified version of the full equation and is used to describe the behavior of particles that are not affected by any external forces. It allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a certain location at a given time, without having to take into account any potential energy barriers or interactions with other particles.