Schrödinger's equation problem

In summary, the potential V(x) has a defined parity as long as the solutions do not correspond to degenerated eigenvalues of \Psi. However, without knowing the form of the solution, the individual components of V(x) are unknown.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that for a unidimensional potential of the form V(x)=v(-x), the solutions to the time independent Schrödinger's equation have a defined parity as long as these solutions does not correspond to eigenvalues not degenerated.

Homework Equations

[tex]-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \cdot \frac{\partial ^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2}+V(x) \Psi =E\Psi[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea: replace [tex]V(x)[/tex] by [tex]V(-x)[/tex] in the equation I just gave and then find [tex]\Psi[/tex]. Then show that [tex]\Psi[/tex] is either odd or even.
I have no idea about the non degenerated eigenvalues of [tex]\Psi[/tex]...
I'm stuck on starting to solve the equation. I'm a bit familiar with differential equations but not with partial ones.
Is it an equation of the form [tex]c_1y''+gy=c_2y[/tex] where [tex]y=\Psi[/tex] and [tex]g=V(-x)[/tex]? I realize I've no idea why I even bothered changing V(x) for V(-x).
I don't really know what to do. I'd like a little push.

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
Is it an equation of the form [tex]c_1y''+gy=c_2y[/tex] where [tex]y=\Psi[/tex] and [tex]g=V(-x)[/tex]?
Yep, that's correct. A partial differential equation when there is only one independent variable is no different from an ordinary differential equation.

As for a hint: I think you can use the fact that any function [itex]f(x)[/itex] can be expressed as the sum of an odd part and an even part,
[tex]f_\text{even}(x) = \frac{1}{2}[f(x) + f(-x)][/tex]
and
[tex]f_\text{odd}(x) = \frac{1}{2}[f(x) - f(-x)][/tex]
Use this along with the principle of superposition (any linear combination of two solutions to the Schrödinger equation with the same energy is also a solution).

Thank you diazona.
Oh now I remember from calculus I the property you mention in the hint.

If I'm not wrong, the ODE I must solve is [tex]\Psi ''+\Psi \left ( \frac{g-c_2}{c_1} \right ) =0[/tex].
All my knowledge on ODE comes from a self study of Boyce-Di Prima's book. I don't really remember how to solve such an equation since g depends on x and isn't constant. If I still remember well, I should propose a solution of a particular form. Problem is, I don't know how to "guess" the particular form of the solution.

And yes, I do know that if I get 2 linearly independent solutions of the ODE, then any linear combination is also a solution. :smile:

I'll check out if I can encounter Boyce-Di Prima's book.

Edit: Ok I found the book but I'm still stuck. It seems I can get a second solution and therefore the general form of the solutions if I already know one solution. But since I don't know it, I'm totally stuck.
I realize the solution would be a simple harmonic motion kind of function if g would be constant. But since it's not, I have no idea.

Last edited:

FAQ: Schrödinger's equation problem

1. What is Schrödinger's equation problem?

Schrödinger's equation problem, also known as the time-dependent Schrödinger equation, is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how a quantum system evolves over time. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1926.

2. Why is Schrödinger's equation problem important?

Schrödinger's equation problem is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain location at a specific time. This is crucial for understanding the behavior of quantum systems, which are the building blocks of atoms and molecules.

3. What is the difference between Schrödinger's equation problem and the wave equation?

The wave equation, also known as the Schrödinger wave equation, is a simplified version of Schrödinger's equation problem that is used for non-relativistic systems. Schrödinger's equation problem is more general and can be used for both non-relativistic and relativistic systems.

4. How is Schrödinger's equation problem solved?

Schrödinger's equation problem is solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or numerical methods. The solutions to the equation are known as wavefunctions, which describe the quantum state of a system.

5. What are the limitations of Schrödinger's equation problem?

Schrödinger's equation problem is limited in its ability to accurately describe certain physical phenomena, such as the behavior of particles at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. It also does not account for certain effects such as particle interactions and quantum fluctuations.