Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schutz vs. Hartle?

1. Apr 3, 2010 #1
    I hope this is the right forum to post this...

I'm going through Wald's book in my first graduate level GR course, and am looking for lower level supplementary reading. I have a relatively strong math background, so Wald's language suits me well, but sometimes I feel like I need more elementary background in the physics (this is my first relativity course - I've never even taken special relativity before). I'm contemplating Schutz or Hartle. Which do you recommend as a supplement to Wald?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2010 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would suggest you start with a good book on SR, such as Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler.

A possible free alternative to Schutz and Hartle: http://www.lightandmatter.com/genrel/ (I'm the author.)

4. Apr 3, 2010 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't read Hartle (or Taylor and Wheeler), but Schutz has a good introduction to SR and a good introduction to tensors in the context of vector spaces. So it's a good choice. Getting a book on differential geometry would also be a good idea.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook