Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Science fair physics Investigation

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    Hi, guys! So my school has a science fair coming up, and I've decided to do an experimental research on this topic:

Determination of thermoelectric characteristics in the ambient environment of Qatar.

I'll be using peltier tiles...?

I live in Doha, Qatar. Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Can you elaborate a little on what you want to do?

4. Feb 27, 2015 #3
    Uhm, I haven't exactly figured out the details yet. But I thought that it'd be interesting to know if whether or not the use of thermoelectric generators would be an ideal thing.

5. Feb 27, 2015 #4
    That again is dependent on what specifically you are trying to investigate.

6. Feb 27, 2015 #5

Drakkith

Well, what were your thoughts on how you might go about finding this out?

7. Feb 27, 2015 #6
    I was thinking of constructing my own thermoelectric generator and test it on the weather conditions here in Qatar. And afterwards, based on whatever results I get, conclude on whether or not the use of thermoelectricity is an appropriate alternative for Qatar?

8. Feb 27, 2015 #7
    I mean, since Qatar is rich in oil, electricity is mainly generated from it.

9. Feb 27, 2015 #8

Drakkith

That sounds fine. I'd also recommend an investigation into the properties of thermoelectric generators and where they are most useful. As one of several different types of heat engines, thermoelectric generators have their pros and cons and are better suited for certain applications and less suited for others.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook