Advanced Higher Physics Investigation

In summary, the speaker is looking for suggestions for areas of investigation for their Advanced Higher Physics course. They had initially considered using telron tubes to determine the charge to mass ratio of an electron, but found out that it is already covered in the course. They are now seeking alternatives and have mentioned the Hall Effect as a possibility. They also mention having to perform three different experiments and write-ups for the course. They ask for suggestions and provide a resource for finding methods for charge-to-mass measurements.
Gizmo0105
As part of my Advanced Higher Physics course I am require to investigate an area of physics not covered by the syllabus. My first thought was to use telron tubes or similar in order to determine the charge to mass ratio of an electron. However it has just come to my attention that this has in fact been added to the course. Does anybody have any suggestions for similar areas of investigation?As far as I am aware I have to perform three different experiments and assosciated write ups.

Thanks in anticipation.

Gizmo

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help to know what the syllabus/course does cover.

Well as far as I am aware the course covers the e/m determination using crossed fields. IF there were any other ways to find this then that would be great but I've yet to find any.

Gizmo0105 said:
Well as far as I am aware the course covers the e/m determination using crossed fields. IF there were any other ways to find this then that would be great but I've yet to find any.

If you think you'd like to do charge-to-mass measurements, here's a place to start tracking methods down from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge-to-mass_ratio . Googling on

electron experiment "charge-to-mass ratio"

wll get you a ton of stuff, some of which has useful material on methods.

As for other areas of investigation, you could look at the Hall Effect. (I think I need to be more awake to come up with some other things you could try that could reasonably be done within a semester lab course.) Do all of your three experiments have to be on related themes? Is this largely an E&M lab course, or do you get into other branches of physics?

Last edited:

1. What is an Advanced Higher Physics Investigation?

An Advanced Higher Physics Investigation, also known as a dissertation or project, is a scientific research project that is a requirement for students studying advanced physics courses. It involves carrying out an experiment, collecting and analyzing data, and writing a report on the findings.

2. How do I choose a topic for my Advanced Higher Physics Investigation?

Choosing a topic for your investigation can be a daunting task, but it is important to select a topic that you are interested in and that aligns with your strengths and skills in physics. You can also seek advice from your teacher or consult previous investigations for inspiration.

3. How do I conduct my Advanced Higher Physics Investigation?

To conduct your investigation, you will need to follow the scientific method, which involves formulating a research question, designing an experiment, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. It is important to carefully plan and execute each step to ensure accurate and reliable results.

4. What are some common challenges in an Advanced Higher Physics Investigation?

Some common challenges in an Advanced Higher Physics Investigation include equipment malfunctions, unexpected results, and difficulties with data analysis. It is important to be prepared for these challenges and have contingency plans in place to overcome them.

5. How do I write a successful report for my Advanced Higher Physics Investigation?

Writing a successful report for your investigation involves clearly communicating your research question, methodology, results, and conclusions. It is important to use scientific language and follow a structured format, including an abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion.