1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Science policy

1. Mar 3, 2015 #1
    I am in flux at the moment. On one hand I am concerned about the job prospects of a PhD in physics. On the other hand, one of these articles I've read about non-research jobs that can be done with a PhD in physics is science policy.

1. What skills, other than communication (both oral and written), are important to do a science policy job?

2. Is science policy a field where one needs to go to the right school, or work under the right advisor, to be considered for an interview?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You need experience. That is either several years as a PI, or one of the (e.g.) APS or AAAS fellowships. If you go the second route, you will definitely have a glass ceiling, because you have not been a PI, and don't have "street cred" with the community.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook