SE- How to Determine Oil Temperature at Exit of Cylindrical Heat Exchanger?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Bibinou
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hello,
I have some problems in resolving this exercise.
Consider a cylindrical heat exchanger, whose you know all caracteristics (such as : inside diameter, outside diameter and its length). This exchanger is used to cool an oil phase with water.

We know the flow of water, its Cp and its temperature, moreover we also know the flow of oil, its Cp and its temperature.
We also know the global transfert coefficient K expressed in kW.m-².K-1

How can we determine the temperature of oil at the exit of the exchanger?

Thank you very much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts about the problem at the moment?
 
I don't know how to begin,
perhaps by computing Q(oil)=m Cp dT but I don't know the mass of oil given that I don't know the time => I can't deduce it from the flow
 
Bibinou said:
I don't know how to begin,
perhaps by computing Q(oil)=m Cp dT but I don't know the mass of oil given that I don't know the time => I can't deduce it from the flow
If you know the flow rate of the oil and of the water, you know dm/dt. How does dQ/dt relate to dm/dt?

AM