Sealing a wiring port to withstand water at 130+ psi?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mbewley59
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hey everyone- I'm designing an ROV thruster which, for starters, will operate down to a depth of 300 feet. My problem is that I can't find any information regarding an electrical port which can pass through the hull out into the pressurized atmosphere without leaking. This will be a 12v system pushing about 15 amps for now, and I expect to use 2 or 3 wires.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I've got some concepts in my head, but nothing I can verify anywhere. Thanks!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Wow, that was quick! Guess I just didn't search on the right (obvious) terms. I get a little brain-dead sometimes.

Thanks so much, anorlunda!
 
Where is the power going? Do you really need to run it through the hull? If it's going to a thruster will the thruster also have matching connectors and shaft seals?

Could you not design it so that the thruster rotor actually operates in water and only the magnetic field (eg between stator and rotor) has to pass through the hull? Just a thought.