1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sealing a wiring port to withstand water at 130+ psi?

1. Nov 25, 2016 #1
    Hey everyone- I'm designing an ROV thruster which, for starters, will operate down to a depth of 300 feet. My problem is that I can't find any information regarding an electrical port which can pass through the hull out into the pressurized atmosphere without leaking. This will be a 12v system pushing about 15 amps for now, and I expect to use 2 or 3 wires.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I've got some concepts in my head, but nothing I can verify anywhere. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2016 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

:welcome:

I don't understand why you are having trouble, just a few seconds on Google brought me to this site which has penetrations for up to 700 bars.

http://www.pavetechnologyco.com

4. Nov 25, 2016 #3
    Wow, that was quick! Guess I just didn't search on the right (obvious) terms. I get a little brain-dead sometimes.

Thanks so much, anorlunda!

5. Dec 1, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where is the power going? Do you really need to run it through the hull? If it's going to a thruster will the thruster also have matching connectors and shaft seals?

Could you not design it so that the thruster rotor actually operates in water and only the magnetic field (eg between stator and rotor) has to pass through the hull? Just a thought.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted