Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Search engines suck!

1. Nov 23, 2006 #1
    Is it just me, or is it really hard to get good results when you google something lately?

It used to be that I would find what I wanted fast, now I search something and I get nothing but garbage.

Anyone else notice this change lately?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2006 #2
    Not me, but I must say I don't search stuff too often.

4. Nov 23, 2006 #3

verty

Homework Helper

Not me, although I do also look elsewhere like dmoz.org.

5. Nov 23, 2006 #4

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Getting good results out of a search engine is just a matter of choosing the right terms. I use google all the time and I'm often surprised by how accurate it is. If I have a couple pieces of information vaguely related to some random fact I need to know, google will frequently provide that random fact in the top 10 results.

6. Nov 23, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aha, see, all that trash talk is catching up with you! :biggrin:

7. Nov 23, 2006 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Choosing your keywords properly is important, but with Google, you can get much more accurate hits by enclosing key phrases or word combinations in quotes. If you're not doing this and you're searching on keywords that are common, you will get a lot of stuff that is unrelated to what you really want.

8. Nov 23, 2006 #7
    I've really had no problem with Google lately. However, a few pages in the search hits are completely useless.

9. Nov 23, 2006 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can also use boolean operations. You can also use a minus sign "-" to exclude results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?