Finding My Path: The Intersection of Science and Passion

• Thread starter timeuntotime
  • Start date
In summary, if you wish to pursue a career in writing, you should not major in English. If you wish to pursue a career in physics, you will need to take at least three semesters of Calculus and one course on linear algebra.
timeuntotime
I have so many interests, and know a great deal about a few. I find so many areas of science fascinating and when I put all the interests together, I come to the conclusion of physics. I have a high aptitude for English rather than math and I'm always told I should become a writer. I adore reading, but don't have that much interest in writing. Sorry, this isn't even really a question, I'm just..searching.

Physics news on Phys.org
timeuntotime said:
I have so many interests, and know a great deal about a few. I find so many areas of science fascinating and when I put all the interests together, I come to the conclusion of physics. I have a high aptitude for English rather than math and I'm always told I should become a writer. I adore reading, but don't have that much interest in writing. Sorry, this isn't even really a question, I'm just..searching.
Write down a list of 6 interesting things then throw a dice?

Likes timeuntotime
timeuntotime said:
... when I put all the interests together, I come to the conclusion of physics.
So, ends your search?

Likes timeuntotime
dlgoff said:
So, ends your search?

Never, the search is the conclusion.

Likes Apple_Mango, fresh_42 and dlgoff
timeuntotime said:
Choose Physics, at least until you learn that you want something else. If you choose Physics, you must learn mathematics through at least three semesters of Calculus (along the way) and preferably one course on linear algebra; and you WILL do much writing in regard to Physics, as well as in other sciences or technologies. Understand, with any choice of major field, you do have elective options for courses other than just mathematics or physics, including outside of S.T.E.M.

Likes timeuntotime
symbolipoint said:
Choose Physics, at least until you learn that you want something else. If you choose Physics, you must learn mathematics through at least three semesters of Calculus (along the way) and preferably one course on linear algebra; and you WILL do much writing in regard to Physics, as well as in other sciences or technologies. Understand, with any choice of major field, you do have elective options for courses other than just mathematics or physics, including outside of S.T.E.M.

Duly noted, thank you.

timeuntotime said:
Never, the search is the conclusion.
In a broad, vague sense that can be true but on a practical level if you don't make a decision to follow a coherent path, you will struggle to have enough resources to continue your search as a hobby.

Likes timeuntotime
russ_watters said:
In a broad, vague sense that can be true but on a practical level if you don't make a decision to follow a coherent path, you will struggle to have enough resources to continue your search as a hobby.

I guess that's what I get philosophizing on a science forum... I'll be starting with math. I have the idea I'd like to explore quantum physics especially.

Likes AlexCaledin

1. What is a calling?

A calling is a strong inner urge or sense of purpose that guides an individual towards a certain career or life path. It is often associated with passions, talents, and values.

2. How do I know if I have found my calling?

Some signs that you have found your calling may include feeling fulfilled and energized by your work, having a strong sense of purpose, and experiencing a sense of flow or ease while pursuing your interests.

3. Can my calling change over time?

Yes, it is possible for your calling to change and evolve as you grow and experience new things. It is important to remain open to new opportunities and be willing to adapt as your interests and passions change.

4. What should I do if I am still unsure of my calling?

If you are unsure of your calling, it can be helpful to explore your interests, values, and strengths through activities such as journaling, talking to mentors or career counselors, and trying out new experiences. Trust that your calling will become clearer as you continue to learn and grow.

5. Can I have more than one calling?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple callings or passions. It is important to prioritize and find ways to integrate these different interests into your life, whether it be through a career or hobbies.