Secant and Tangent Angles in Circles, finding an arc length.

In summary, a secant angle in a circle is formed by a line that intersects the circle at two points, while a tangent angle is formed by a line that intersects the circle at one point. The measure of a tangent angle can be found using the formula measure = 1/2(180 - central angle). A secant angle and a tangent angle are complementary angles, with a sum of 90 degrees. The length of an arc in a circle can be found using the formula length = (central angle/360) x 2πr or the arc length formula, length = radius x central angle. Finally, the measure of a central angle can be found if the length of the arc and the radius of the circle are known
Cj111
View attachment 8161

I got 138.17, but that isn't correct. I don't know how to do it, since the only way I thought, gave me the wrong answer. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.6 KB · Views: 59
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would call point $C$ the center of the circle. So, what must the measures of \(\displaystyle \angle CPQ\) and \(\displaystyle \angle CRQ\) be?

To follow up, since \(\displaystyle \overline{QP}\) and \(\displaystyle \overline{QR}\) are tangent to the circle, we must have \(\displaystyle \angle CPQ=\angle CRQ=90^{\circ}\). Since the sum of the interior angles of a quadrilateral is $360^{\circ}$, it follows then that:

\(\displaystyle 100x+81x-1=180\implies x=1\)

And hence, \(\displaystyle \overset{\frown}{PR}=100^{\circ}\)

1. What is the definition of a secant angle in a circle?

A secant angle is formed by a line that intersects a circle at two points, creating two arcs. The angle is formed by the two rays that extend from the center of the circle through the points of intersection.

2. How do you find the measure of a tangent angle in a circle?

A tangent angle is formed by a line that intersects a circle at one point, creating one arc. To find the measure of a tangent angle, use the formula measure = 1/2(180 - central angle).

3. What is the relationship between a secant angle and a tangent angle in a circle?

A secant angle and a tangent angle are complementary angles. This means that the sum of their measures is equal to 90 degrees. This relationship is true because a tangent line is perpendicular to a radius of a circle, creating a right angle with the secant line.

4. How do you find the length of an arc in a circle?

To find the length of an arc in a circle, you can use the formula length = (central angle/360) x 2πr, where r is the radius of the circle. You can also use the arc length formula, length = radius x central angle.

5. Can you find the measure of a central angle if you know the length of the arc?

Yes, you can use the formula central angle = (arc length/2πr) x 360, where r is the radius of the circle. You can also use the central angle formula, central angle = arc length/radius.