Second derivative of a metric and the Riemann curvature tensor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
MarkovMarakov
Messages
32
Reaction score
1
I can't see how to get the following result. Help would be appreciated!

This question has to do with the Riemann curvature tensor in inertial coordinates.

Such that, if I'm not wrong, (in inertial coordinates) [tex]R_{abcd}=\frac{1}{2} (g_{ad,bc}+g_{bc,ad}-g_{bd,ac}-g_{ac,bd})[/tex]
where [itex]",_i"[/itex] denotes [itex]\partial \over \partial x^i[/itex].

How does [tex]g_{ab,cd}=-\frac{1}{3}(R_{acbd}+R_{adbc})[/tex]?
______
So
[tex]-\frac{1}{3}(R_{acbd}+R_{adbc})=-\frac{1}{6}(g_{bc,ad}+g_{ad,bc}-g_{ba,cd}-g_{cd,ab}+g_{bd,ac}+g_{ac,bd}-g_{ab,cd}-g_{cd,ab})[/tex]
[tex]=-\frac{1}{6}(g_{bc,ad}+g_{ad,bc}+g_{bd,ac}+g_{ac,bd})+\frac{1}{3}g_{cd,ab}+\frac{1}{3}g_{ab,cd}[/tex]
But how does [tex]\frac{1}{6}(g_{bc,ad}+g_{ad,bc}+g_{bd,ac}+g_{ac,bd})+\frac{1}{3}g_{cd,ab}=\frac{2}{3}g_{ab,cd}[/tex]
____
...Have I made a mistake?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How does gab,cd = −1/3(Racbd + Radbc)?
Clearly it doesn't! I'd be curious to know where you saw the relationship.

The RHS is known as the symmetrized Riemann tensor, Sabcd ≡ −1/3(Racbd + Radbc). It has 20 independent components, just like the Riemann tensor, with symmetries Sabcd = Sbacd = Sabdc = Scdab and Sabcd + Sacdb + Sadbc = 0. Conversely the Riemann tensor can be given in terms of the symmetrized tensor as Rabcd = Sadcb - Sacdb.