1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Second derivative of friction force question

1. Apr 29, 2017 #1
    I'm studying boundary layers. I am confused by what I am reading in this book.

The book says the friction force (F) per unit volume = $$\frac{dF}{dy}=\mu\frac{d^2U}{dy^2}$$
    They say $$\frac{dU}{dy}=\frac{U_\infty}{\delta}$$

This makes sense to me, delta is the thickness in the y direction, and the velocity is 0 at the airfoil (or whatever object) and it equals the freestream velocity after the boundary thickness delta. so du/dy being proportional to the free stream velocity divided by the thickness makes sense.
    But then they say this : $$\frac{d^2U}{dy^2} =\mu\frac{U_\infty}{\delta^2}$$

Can someone explain why the second derivative is proportional to delta^2 ?
    Is it that, delta represents the thickness y, and so the second derivative of 1/y = -1/y^2, and we just ignore the negative?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2017 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well for one, friction force per unit volume is not ##dF/dy## as you have written it. It is ##\partial \tau/\partial y##. The difference is important, because ##F## is a force, and ##\tau## is a stress. The units don't work out if you use ##F##.

So then the friction force per unit volume is
    [tex]\dfrac{\partial \tau}{\partial y} = \mu\dfrac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}.[/tex]
    So, if you've already come to terms with the fact that
    [tex]\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial y} \sim \dfrac{U_{\infty}}{\delta},[/tex]
    Then the same logic leads to
    [tex]\dfrac{\partial \tau}{\partial y} = \mu\dfrac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right) \sim \mu\dfrac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\dfrac{U_{\infty}}{\delta}\right) \sim \mu\dfrac{U_{\infty}}{\delta^2}.[/tex]

4. May 3, 2017 #3
    Hi thank you for replying.

Ah okay, I think I figured it out.
    I see how $$\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = \frac{U\infty}{\delta}$$ because... it U=0 at the boundary and U_infty after a distance delta, so it should be proportional.

So I think :
    $$\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2} = \frac{\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}_\infty}{\delta} = \frac{U\infty}{\delta^2}$$ Or basically du/dt/delta = u_infty/delta^2
    Is this the correct interpretation?

5. May 3, 2017 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted