Second law of thermodynamics - what does it actually mean?

In summary, the 2nd law of thermodynamics states that energy is constantly decreasing in a closed system and will eventually reach thermodynamic equilibrium. This means that there will be no differences in temperature and no energy can be extracted. However, the energy still exists and may take on a different form, but it cannot be extracted once the system reaches equilibrium.
jumbogala
I read in the paper that the 2nd law of thermodynamics says energy is constantly decreasing in a closed system.

Is that true? I learned the law in my first year of college but I can't remember its implications. Anyway, I can't find a straight 'true' or 'false' answer anywhere, and it's bothering me because I think the paper is wrong :)

Can anyone explain?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
jumbogala said:
the 2nd law of thermodynamics says available energy is constantly decreasing in a closed system.
Eventually, the entire system will reach thermodynamic equilibrium. No differences in temperature = no energy can be extracted.

Ah - so the energy is still there, it's just not useful. Is that right?

By conservation of energy, the energy must still be there, yes.

And energy must always be there, it may get a different form but it is there

Ali Inam said:
And energy must always be there, it may get a different form but it is there

It may not even be in the different form. Its initial state might simply be an imbalance in heat distribution, which could be extracted to do work. But once the temperature has equalized, there's no way to extract it anymore.

What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time, or remains constant in ideal cases where the system is at equilibrium or undergoing a reversible process.

How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics relate to energy?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is often referred to as the law of energy degradation, as it states that energy will always flow from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration. This means that energy will gradually become more dispersed and less useful over time.

What is the difference between the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. The Second Law of Thermodynamics, on the other hand, deals with the direction of energy transfer and the inevitable increase in entropy.

How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics apply to real-life systems?

In real-life systems, the Second Law of Thermodynamics is evident in many processes, such as heat transfer and chemical reactions. In these systems, energy is constantly being transformed and dispersed, leading to an overall increase in entropy.

Can the Second Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental law of physics and has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. It is considered a universal principle and cannot be violated in closed systems. However, in open systems, energy can be input and output, which can temporarily decrease entropy. However, this decrease must ultimately be compensated for by an overall increase in the system's entropy.