Second nonlinear DE for exciton diffusion

In summary: There is suppose to be a general solution to the general elliptic equation:y''=A+By+Cy^2+Dy^3=0.Multiplying by y', integrating, and adjusting the constants we obtain the form:\left(y')^2=a+by+cy^2+dy^3+ey^4.And by a suitable change of variable z=z(y) we can reduce it to the standard form:\left(\frac{dz}{dx}\right)^2=(1-z^2)(1-k^2 z^2)
elfine
Dear Everyone,

I am working on a physics problem of exciton diffusion involved in organic optoelectronics.

It is in the form of

y''+a*y+b*y^2=0.

Is there a general solution to this equation?

Thanks!

elfine

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to handsolve the equations, but I sent it through Mathematica, and you don't want to see the answer. Although I posted it anyway.

Code:
in = DSolve[y''[x] + a*y[x] + b*y[x]^2 == 0, y[x], x]
out = Solve[(4 EllipticF[
      ArcSin[\[Sqrt]((Root[-3 C[1] + 3 a #1^2 + 2 b #1^3 &, 3] - 
            y[x])/(-Root[-3 C[1] + 3 a #1^2 + 2 b #1^3 &, 2] + 
            Root[-3 C[1] + 3 a #1^2 + 2 b #1^3 &, 
             3]))], (Root[-3 C[1] + 3 a #1^2 + 2 b #1^3 &, 2] - 
          3])/(Root[-3 C[1] + 3 a #1^2 + 2 b #1^3 &, 1] - 
         Root[-3 C[1] + 3 a #1^2 + 2 b #1^3 &, 3])]^2 (Root[-3 C[1] + 
          3 a #1^2 + 2 b #1^3 &, 2] - 
        3]) (-Root[-3 C[1] + 3 a #1^2 + 2 b #1^3 &, 1] + 
       y[x]) (-Root[-3 C[1] + 3 a #1^2 + 2 b #1^3 &, 2] + 
       y[x]) (-Root[-3 C[1] + 3 a #1^2 + 2 b #1^3 &, 3] + 
       y[x]))/((-Root[-3 C[1] + 3 a #1^2 + 2 b #1^3 &, 1] + 
        3]) (-Root[-3 C[1] + 3 a #1^2 + 2 b #1^3 &, 2] + 
       Root[-3 C[1] + 3 a #1^2 + 2 b #1^3 &, 3]) (C[1] - a y[x]^2 - 
       2/3 b y[x]^3)) == (x + C[2])^2, y[x]]

where Solve solves an equation for y[x] and Root finds the roots of an equation.

Thank your reply.

The attached picture is a given method for solving this kind equation, but it is uncompleted.

For I am not good at math and I can't get a good solution from matlab, could anyone help me on this?

Best wishes!

elfine

Attachments

• 2nd nonlinear de.jpg
    2nd nonlinear de.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 400
elfine said:
Dear Everyone,

I am working on a physics problem of exciton diffusion involved in organic optoelectronics.

It is in the form of

y''+a*y+b*y^2=0.

Is there a general solution to this equation?

Thanks!

elfine

There is suppose to be a general solution to the general elliptic equation:

[tex]y''=A+By+Cy^2+Dy^3[/tex]

multiplying by y', integrating, and adjusting the constants we obtain the form:

[tex]\left(y')^2=a+by+cy^2+dy^3+ey^4[/tex]

and by a suitable change of variable [itex]z=z(y)[/itex] we can reduce it to the standard form:

[tex]\left(\frac{dz}{dx}\right)^2=(1-z^2)(1-k^2 z^2)[/tex]

in which [itex]z(x)=\text{sn}(x,k)[/itex] where sn is the Jacobi elliptic sine function. We then invert the expression [itex]z=z(y)[/itex] to obtain the solution in y. However, the exact details of that procedure is a little unclear to me.

Hi jackmell,
Thanks a lot! Your suggestion is very valuable to me.
I adjust my DE to
[tex]\left(y')^2=a+cy^2+dy^3[/tex]
with the boundary of
[tex]\left y(\infty)=0[/tex]
and the simplified equation is
[tex]\left(y')^2=cy^2+dy^3[/tex]
By subtitute
[tex]\left t=\sqrt{c+dy}[/tex]
I finally get
[tex]\left \frac{adt}{t^2-b}=dx[/tex]
And its primitive function is a Hyperbolic function.
elfine

1. What is a second nonlinear DE for exciton diffusion?

A second nonlinear DE for exciton diffusion is a type of differential equation that describes the movement and behavior of excitons, which are quasiparticles that carry electric charge in semiconductors. This particular equation takes into account the nonlinearity of the exciton diffusion process, meaning that the excitons interact with each other and their environment in a nonlinear way.

2. How is this equation different from other DEs?

The second nonlinear DE for exciton diffusion differs from other DEs in that it includes terms that account for the nonlinearity of the exciton diffusion process. This makes the equation more complex and difficult to solve, but it is necessary for accurately describing the behavior of excitons in certain situations.

3. What applications does this equation have?

This equation has many applications in the field of semiconductor physics and electronics. It can be used to model the behavior of excitons in organic solar cells, LEDs, and other optoelectronic devices. It can also be applied to studying the transport of excitons in biological systems, such as photosynthetic organisms.

4. What are the challenges of using this equation?

One of the main challenges of using the second nonlinear DE for exciton diffusion is the complexity of the equation itself. It often requires advanced mathematical techniques to solve, and the solutions may not always be exact. Additionally, the equation may need to be modified or adapted for different systems or scenarios, which can be a difficult task.

5. How is this equation related to other equations in physics?

The second nonlinear DE for exciton diffusion is related to other equations in physics, such as the Schrödinger equation and the diffusion equation. It combines elements of both of these equations to describe the behavior of excitons, which are quantum mechanical particles that also exhibit diffusion-like behavior. This equation is also related to other nonlinear DEs used in physics, such as the Navier-Stokes equations for fluid dynamics.