Second order differential equation

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the general solution to the second order ODE using Euler's method. The attempt at a solution involves assuming y=xa and substituting it into the ODE, resulting in the equation a2+a+x-2=0. However, it is clarified that this has nothing to do with Euler's method.
sara_87

Homework Statement

find the general solution to the second order ode:
x4y''+2x3y'+y=0

Homework Equations

using Euler's method

The Attempt at a Solution

assume that the solution is y=xa
then y'=axa-1 and y''-a(a-1)xa-2
substituting these into the ode:
a(a-1)xa+2axa+xax-2=0
which gives
a2+a+x-2=0

and this is where i got stuck.
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
?? You say "use Euler's method". That is a numerical method of solving differential equations. What you are doing has nothing to do with Euler's method.

I think i made a mistake. I thought when we use the assumption y=x^a that this is called Euler's method. but now i know it has nothing to do with it :)

What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function. It is used to model physical phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the types of second order differential equations?

The three main types of second order differential equations are linear, nonlinear, and separable. Linear equations have a linear relationship between the unknown function and its derivatives, while nonlinear equations have a non-linear relationship. Separable equations can be separated into two first-order equations.

How do you solve a second order differential equation?

There are various methods for solving second order differential equations, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. The appropriate method to use depends on the type of equation and initial conditions.

What are the applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations are used to model real-life situations in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to describe the motion of objects, predict population growth, and analyze electrical circuits, among other applications.

What is the difference between a first and second order differential equation?

The main difference between a first and second order differential equation is the number of derivatives present. A first order equation involves only the first derivative, while a second order equation involves the second derivative. This also affects the complexity of the equation and the methods used to solve it.