1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second order homogenous problem

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataSolve the initial value problem y''-y'-2y=0 y(0)=β , y'(0)=2. Then find β so that the solution approaches zero as t→∞

2. Relevant equations
    R^2-R-2=0

C1+C2=β, -C1+2C2=2

3. The attempt at a solutionI solved the equation got the r- values 1 and -2 , then i solved the two equations to find the constants, my first constant is c1=(2β-2)/3 and my second one is c2=(β+2)/3. Now I've got the equations and I dont know how to continue from here, should I try it from the first derivative (solving for minimum value or anything) or from the y-equation( it never gets to zero)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi bigu01! :smile:

hint: if you want Cekt -> 0 as t -> ∞, with k > 0,

then you need C = … ? :wink:

4. Dec 1, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, here's your first problem. r= 1 and r= -2 do NOT satisfy the equation:
    [itex](1)^2- 1- 2= -2[/itex], not 0, and [itex](-2)^2- (-2)- 2= 4[/itex], not 0.

5. Dec 1, 2013 #4

The R-s are inputed to the e^rt not directly in the equation right, so if you input the r=1 and r=-2 ,
    y becomes y=c1e^t+c2e^-2t

6. Dec 1, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No.

Your characteristic equation is r2 - r - 2 = 0. The solutions are NOT r = 1 and r = -2. This is what HallsOfIvy is saying.

Try again.

7. Dec 1, 2013 #6
    Oh I see r=-1 and r=2 I solved it like that in my notebook,but when putting here looks like I've mixed them.Sorry.Then I have (β+2)/3*e^2t+(2β+2)*e^-t =y and I have to get y=0 as t->∞

8. Dec 1, 2013 #7
    k=e^-t?

9. Dec 1, 2013 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sorry, you're not making any sense :redface:

10. Dec 1, 2013 #9
    β=-2 C should be 0 , β+2=0

11. Dec 1, 2013 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that's better! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted