Second Order ODE, With Initial Conditions

In summary, the student attempted to find the general solution of an ODE by using the method of undetermined coefficients, but made a mistake. After some additional work, they found a solution that satisfied the initial values and the original equation.
checkmatechamp

Homework Statement

y'' + 4y = t2 + 6et; y(0) = 0; y'(0) = 5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, getting the general solution, we have r2 + 4 = 0, so r = +/- 2i

So the general solution is yc = sin(2t) + cos(2t)

I then used the method of undetermined coefficients to figure that the particular solution had a form At2 + Bt + C + Det + E = 0, and found that A = 0.25, B = 0 , C = 0, D = 1.2, E = 2

So the overall solution is y = c1sin(2t) + c2cos(2t) + 0.25t2 + 1.2et + 2

The derivative is y' = 2c1*cos(2t) - 2c2*sin(2t) + 0.5t + 1.2et

So I got that 0 = 0 + c2 + 0 + 1.2 + 2, which means that c2 + 3.2 = 0, which means that c2 = -3.2

5 = 2c1 - 0 + 0 + 1.2, which means that 2c1 = 3.8, and c1 = 1.9

So the overall equation should be y = 1.9sin(2t) - 3.2*cos(2t) + 0.25t2 + 1.2et + 2.

But when I enter it as an answer, it tells me it's wrong. Where did I make a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
checkmatechamp said:

Homework Statement

y'' + 4y = t2 + 6et; y(0) = 0; y'(0) = 5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, getting the general solution, we have r2 + 4 = 0, so r = +/- 2i

So the general solution is yc = sin(2t) + cos(2t)

No, this is only the complementary solution, i.e. the solution to the homogeneous equation.

I then used the method of undetermined coefficients to figure that the particular solution had a form At2 + Bt + C + Det + E = 0, and found that A = 0.25, B = 0 , C = 0, D = 1.2, E = 2

Why do you have two different constant terms?

So the overall solution is y = c1sin(2t) + c2cos(2t) + 0.25t2 + 1.2et + 2

The derivative is y' = 2c1*cos(2t) - 2c2*sin(2t) + 0.5t + 1.2et

So I got that 0 = 0 + c2 + 0 + 1.2 + 2, which means that c2 + 3.2 = 0, which means that c2 = -3.2

5 = 2c1 - 0 + 0 + 1.2, which means that 2c1 = 3.8, and c1 = 1.9

So the overall equation should be y = 1.9sin(2t) - 3.2*cos(2t) + 0.25t2 + 1.2et + 2.

But when I enter it as an answer, it tells me it's wrong. Where did I make a mistake?

The general solution of the ODE is the sum of the particular solution and the complementary solution.

Also, you can't apply the initial conditions solely to the complementary solution. These must be applied to the general solution of the ODE to work out the values of the undetermined coefficients.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/UndeterminedCoefficients.aspx

Alright, so for the particular solution:
yp = At^2 + Bt + C + De^t
yp' = 2At + B + De^t
yp'' = 2A + De^t

2A + De^t + 4(At^2 + Bt + C + De^t) = t^2 + 6e^t

2A + De^t + 4At^2 + 4Bt + 4C + De^t = t^2 + 6e^t

So grouping the terms together, you get 4A = 1, so A = 0.25

De^t = 6e^t, so D = 6

2A + 4C = 0
2(1) + 4C = 0
4C = -2
C = -0.5

So yp = 0.25t^2 - 0.5 + 6e^t

y = c1sin(2t) + c2cos(2t) + 6e^t + 0.25t^2 - 0.5

y' = 2c1*cos(2t) - 2c2*sin(2t) + 0.5t + 6e^t

0 = 0 + c2 + 6 + 0 - 0.5
-5.5 = c2

5 = 2c1 + 6

2c1 = -1

c1 = -0.5

So the final solution is y = -0.5sin(2t) -5.5 cos(2t) + 6e^t + 0.25t^2 - 0.5. Does this look correct?

You can check it yourself. It's good practice.

Does it satisfy the original ODE?

Does it satisfy the initial values prescribed for y and y'?

After some checking, I finally entered the answer y = 1.9*sin(2t) - 1.075*cos(2t) + 0.25t^2 - 0.125 + 1.2e^t. Thank you so much for your help! :)

What is a second order ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

A second order ODE is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the second derivative of the function and can be written in the form of y'' = f(x,y,y').

What are initial conditions in relation to second order ODEs?

Initial conditions are values given to the function and its derivatives at a specific point in the domain. These values are used to find a particular solution to the ODE.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous second order ODE?

A homogeneous second order ODE has a right-hand side (f(x,y,y')) equal to zero, while a non-homogeneous ODE has a non-zero right-hand side. This means that the solution to a homogeneous ODE will only depend on the initial conditions, while the solution to a non-homogeneous ODE will also depend on the specific form of the right-hand side function.

What methods can be used to solve second order ODEs?

There are several methods for solving second order ODEs, including separation of variables, variation of parameters, and the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods may be used depending on the form of the ODE and the available initial conditions.

Why are second order ODEs important in science?

Second order ODEs are important in science because they can be used to model many physical systems, such as the motion of a pendulum or the oscillations of a spring. They also have many applications in engineering and other fields, making them a valuable tool for understanding and predicting natural phenomena.