1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second-Order Partial Derivative of a Parametric Function

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    The problem is from an online homework assignment. I know it's probably fairly simple, but my brain isn't grasping it right now for some reason.

[The Problem]

We know:

r(t) = <3t2 - 8t + 3, -9t2 + 2t + 7>

And we are asked to find d2y/dx2.

[Background Information]

My understanding of d2y/dx2 is that it is the second derivative with respect to x (the first derivative of the function having been with respect to both x and y).

In other words, it's broken down like this:

(d/dx)(dy/dx) = d2y/dx2
    The derivative (with respect to x) of the first derivative of the parametric function, r(t), is equal to that mess on the right hand side of the equation.

[Attempt at a Solution]

So we know that:

(dy/dx) = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt) (From the textbook.)

And the above function, r(t), can be broken down into two parts:

x(t) = -9t2 + 2t + 7
    y(t) = 3t2 - 8t + 3

Therefore:

(dx/dt) = 6t - 8
    (dy/dt) = -18t + 2

And

(dy/dx) = (-18t + 2) / (6t - 8)

So, now, here's where I feel like I'm guessing a little bit. Following that logic, would d2y/dx2 = (6) * [(-18t + 2)/(6t - 8)]? :rolleyes:

Heh, this is probably a silly question, but thanks very much in advance for any help! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

dy/dx is correct, but I can not follow your logic afterwards. d2y/dx2 =d(dy/dx)/dx = (d(dy/dx)/dt)/(dx/dt). Are you sure you did the derivative of the fraction correctly?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook