Second-Order Partial Derivative of a Parametric Function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the second derivative of a parametric function and the process for solving it using the given information. The individual is unsure about their logic for solving the problem and requests clarification.
molybdenum42
The problem is from an online homework assignment. I know it's probably fairly simple, but my brain isn't grasping it right now for some reason.[The Problem]

We know:

r(t) = <3t2 - 8t + 3, -9t2 + 2t + 7>

And we are asked to find d2y/dx2.[Background Information]

My understanding of d2y/dx2 is that it is the second derivative with respect to x (the first derivative of the function having been with respect to both x and y).

In other words, it's broken down like this:

(d/dx)(dy/dx) = d2y/dx2
The derivative (with respect to x) of the first derivative of the parametric function, r(t), is equal to that mess on the right hand side of the equation.

[Attempt at a Solution]

So we know that:

(dy/dx) = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt) (From the textbook.)

And the above function, r(t), can be broken down into two parts:

x(t) = -9t2 + 2t + 7
y(t) = 3t2 - 8t + 3

Therefore:

(dx/dt) = 6t - 8
(dy/dt) = -18t + 2

And

(dy/dx) = (-18t + 2) / (6t - 8)So, now, here's where I feel like I'm guessing a little bit. Following that logic, would d2y/dx2 = (6) * [(-18t + 2)/(6t - 8)]? :rolleyes:
Heh, this is probably a silly question, but thanks very much in advance for any help! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
molybdenum42 said:
x(t) = -9t2 + 2t + 7
y(t) = 3t2 - 8t + 3

Therefore:

(dx/dt) = 6t - 8
(dy/dt) = -18t + 2

And

(dy/dx) = (-18t + 2) / (6t - 8)

So, now, here's where I feel like I'm guessing a little bit. Following that logic, would d2y/dx2 = (6) * [(-18t + 2)/(6t - 8)]? :rolleyes:

dy/dx is correct, but I can not follow your logic afterwards. d2y/dx2 =d(dy/dx)/dx = (d(dy/dx)/dt)/(dx/dt). Are you sure you did the derivative of the fraction correctly?

ehild

What is a second-order partial derivative of a parametric function?

A second-order partial derivative of a parametric function is a measure of how the rate of change of a function changes with respect to two different independent variables. It indicates the curvature of the function and can help to determine the maximum and minimum points of the function.

How is a second-order partial derivative calculated for a parametric function?

To calculate a second-order partial derivative of a parametric function, you first need to find the first-order partial derivatives with respect to each independent variable. Then, take the partial derivative of those first-order derivatives with respect to the same independent variables, resulting in a second-order partial derivative.

What is the significance of a second-order partial derivative in a parametric function?

The second-order partial derivative is significant because it provides information about the curvature and behavior of a function. It can help to determine the maximum and minimum points, as well as the concavity of a function.

How is a second-order partial derivative used in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, a second-order partial derivative can be used to optimize functions in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can also be used in risk management and portfolio management to analyze the risk and return trade-offs.

Can a parametric function have more than one second-order partial derivative?

Yes, a parametric function can have multiple second-order partial derivatives, depending on the number of independent variables. For example, a function with three independent variables can have three second-order partial derivatives. These derivatives can provide more insight into the behavior of the function and its curvature in different directions.