1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Physics REU: Not sure if I should apply.

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    Hey,

I'm a physics and mathematics major 1.5-2 years in to my degree and I am not sure if I should apply to some of the NSF Physics REUs. Mainly because I am not sure if I am a good candidate. I was lucky enough to get a NSF Physics REU at another University at the end of my freshman year with interesting research working with a Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM). The research which I later presented at a local regional Zone SPS Meeting. However, academically while I have nearly all "A's" I have only been going to college part time. So, I do not exactly have a whole lot of credits compared to your full time college sophomore/rising junior.

So, I am not sure if I should trouble my professors for recommendations to apply to some of these REUs since I am not sure if I am a good candidate.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2
    Your job is to apply, their job is to decide whether to accept or reject you. Don't reject yourself.

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The fact that you have a great GPA, and more importantly, previous REU experience, makes you a pretty good candidate. You should definitely apply.

5. Feb 22, 2008 #4
    Exactly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?