Second Physics REU: Not sure if I should apply.

In summary, the person is a physics and mathematics major unsure about applying to NSF Physics REUs due to concerns about being a good candidate. They have previous REU experience and a great GPA, and it is recommended that they should apply and let the program decide.
PFStudent
Hey,

I'm a physics and mathematics major 1.5-2 years into my degree and I am not sure if I should apply to some of the NSF Physics REUs. Mainly because I am not sure if I am a good candidate. I was lucky enough to get a NSF Physics REU at another University at the end of my freshman year with interesting research working with a Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM). The research which I later presented at a local regional Zone SPS Meeting. However, academically while I have nearly all "A's" I have only been going to college part time. So, I do not exactly have a whole lot of credits compared to your full time college sophomore/rising junior.

So, I am not sure if I should trouble my professors for recommendations to apply to some of these REUs since I am not sure if I am a good candidate.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Physics news on Phys.org
Your job is to apply, their job is to decide whether to accept or reject you. Don't reject yourself.

The fact that you have a great GPA, and more importantly, previous REU experience, makes you a pretty good candidate. You should definitely apply.

Asphodel said:
Your job is to apply, their job is to decide whether to accept or reject you. Don't reject yourself.

Exactly.

What is a Second Physics REU?

A Second Physics REU is a research experience for undergraduate program in physics. It provides students with an opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects, gain hands-on experience in a laboratory setting, and receive mentorship from experienced scientists.

Who can apply for a Second Physics REU?

Undergraduate students majoring in physics or a related field are eligible to apply for a Second Physics REU. Some programs may also consider students from other STEM disciplines.

What are the benefits of participating in a Second Physics REU?

Participating in a Second Physics REU can provide students with valuable research experience, exposure to different areas of physics, networking opportunities, and the chance to work with renowned scientists in their field.

Do I need previous research experience to apply for a Second Physics REU?

While previous research experience is not required, it may be beneficial for your application. Many programs look for students who have a strong interest in research and are committed to pursuing a career in physics.

How do I apply for a Second Physics REU?

Each program may have its own application process, but generally, you will need to fill out an application form, provide transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Check the program's website for specific application instructions.