Finding the Transform of f(t)u(t-a) Using the Shifting Theorem

• Thread starter Rubik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the Second Shifting Theorem is a mathematical theorem used in signal processing and circuit analysis to simplify the calculation of inverse Laplace transforms. It involves shifting a function in the s-domain by a constant amount, which results in an easier calculation of the inverse Laplace transform. This theorem differs from the First Shifting Theorem, which involves a shift in the frequency domain. The Second Shifting Theorem is used when calculating the inverse Laplace transform of a function with a shifted version in the s-domain, particularly when the shift is a constant. However, there are limitations to this theorem, such as the requirement that the initial function has an inverse Laplace transform and the shift is constant, and the assumption that the function is well
Rubik
In my textbook it says that if we have the function 5sin(t) F(s) = 5/(s2 + 1) Which I understand however, it then says that the shifted function is 5sin(t - 2)u(t - 2).. and I am failing to see how they do that I can not see where the 2 is coming from? This second shifting function is really confusing me so any help would be greatly appreciated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you wish to take the LT of f(t-a)u(t-a). Since u(t-a) is 1 only when t > a you get:

[tex]\mathcal{L}(f(t-a)u(t-a)=\int_0^{\infty}e^{-st}f(t-a)u(t-a)\, dt
=\int_a^{\infty}e^{-st}f(t-a)u(t-a)\, dt[/tex]

Let x = t - a giving

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}e^{-s(x+a)}f(x)u(x)\, dx =
e^{-as}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-sx}f(x)u(x)\, dx
=e^{-as}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-st}f(t)u(t)\, dt=e^{-as}\mathcal{L}f(t)[/tex]

(x is a dummy variable and can be changed to t for clarity).

This says that if F(s) is the transform of f(t) then e-asF(s) is the transform of f(t-a)u(t-a). Or to say it in another way, if you want to find the inverse transform of e-asF(s), you can find the inverse of F(s) by itself, call it f(t), and then f(t-a)u(t-a) will be the inverse of e-asF(s). Does that help?

Sort of helps.. however my problem is when I apply the step function to get the equation into the form f(t) I struggle with what to do next.. I understand the theorem (I think) it is just getting it into a form so I can apply the theorem

For example I am working on this f(t) = t2 - t2((u)(t - 4) + t(u)(t - 4)

Now someone told me that I need to think what g(t1) needs to be so that g(t - a) = t2 but I am not so sure I get it.. so g(t - 4) = t2 but I have no idea what that is telling me or what I am looking for?

Rubik said:
Sort of helps.. however my problem is when I apply the step function to get the equation into the form f(t) I struggle with what to do next.. I understand the theorem (I think) it is just getting it into a form so I can apply the theorem

For example I am working on this f(t) = t2 - t2((u)(t - 4) + t(u)(t - 4)

Now someone told me that I need to think what g(t1) needs to be so that g(t - a) = t2 but I am not so sure I get it.. so g(t - 4) = t2 but I have no idea what that is telling me or what I am looking for?

You don't have to put your problem in the for f(t-a)u(t-a) to get its transform. More typically you want to find the transform of something like f(t)u(t-a). This result is sometimes given as a corollary to the shifting theorem:
[tex]\mathcal{L}(f(t)u(t-a)=\int_0^{\infty}e^{-st}f(t)u(t-a)\, dt
=\int_a^{\infty}e^{-st}f(t)u(t-a)\, dt[/tex]
Now let x = t-a as before:
[tex]\int_0^{\infty}e^{-s(x+a)}f(x+a)u(x)\, dx
=e^{-as}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-st}f(t+a)\, dt
=e^{-as}\mathcal L(f(t+a))[/tex]

So to take the transform of f(t)u(t-a), instead take the transform of f(t+a) and multiply the result by e-as.

1. What is the Second Shifting Theorem?

The Second Shifting Theorem is a mathematical theorem used in signal processing and circuit analysis. It is used to simplify the calculation of inverse Laplace transforms by shifting the function in the s-domain by a certain amount.

2. How does the Second Shifting Theorem work?

The Second Shifting Theorem states that if a function F(s) has an inverse Laplace transform f(t) and is shifted by a constant a in the s-domain, the new function F(s-a) will have an inverse Laplace transform e^(at)f(t). This allows for easier calculation of the inverse Laplace transform.

3. What is the difference between the First and Second Shifting Theorem?

The First and Second Shifting Theorems are both used to simplify the calculation of inverse Laplace transforms, but they differ in the type of shift applied. The First Shifting Theorem involves a shift in the frequency domain, while the Second Shifting Theorem involves a shift in the s-domain.

4. When is the Second Shifting Theorem used?

The Second Shifting Theorem is used when calculating the inverse Laplace transform of a function that has a shifted version in the s-domain. It is particularly useful when the shift is a constant, as it simplifies the calculation process.

5. Are there any limitations to the Second Shifting Theorem?

Like any mathematical theorem, there are some limitations to the Second Shifting Theorem. It can only be used for functions that have an inverse Laplace transform, and the shift must be a constant. It also assumes that the initial function is well-behaved and satisfies certain conditions.