1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeking a job with high school diploma,help please.

1. Jul 19, 2013 #1
    hi
    I have to get a job before going to college ,I have to work for like a year before enrolling.
    anyway,I have a high school diploma and a driving license.
    what can I do with that?
    I need a job which will enable me to live and rent a room or shared apartment.
    I will start college at 22 years old as a freshman,is that too old btw?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2013 #2
    Can't really help you on the job front, but as far as the age you will be starting college, no, not at all! I went to college at 27, and there was people there older then me.

Seán

4. Jul 19, 2013 #3
    Do you have any specific skills? Are you averse to physical labor, or to sitting around in an office? How much money do you need to save up? What kind of expenses do you have?

5. Jul 19, 2013 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There are all sorts of things you can do. A lot will depend on where you are, whether you're willing to travel, and what skills you have.

Have you thought about joining the military, for example? They may be looking for a committment of more than a year (and you know... there's the whole combat thing), but they'll house and feed you while you're on course or deployed, giving you a chance to save up some cash.

In general I would say be willing to travel and go to where the jobs are. In most places you should be able to find minimum wage-type work, but it's difficult to really save anything on that kind of budget, so try to find something that will pay a little more like factory work, foresty, logging, working out on the oil rigs... that kind of thing.

Oh, and about the only thing you're too old for at 22 is a Happy Meal.

6. Jul 19, 2013 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

YYaaSSeeRR, you are in the US on an F1 student Visa, as has already been pointed out to you it is illegal for you to work here unless you are in school. From your other thread about working instead of going to school, it's ILLEGAL. Please do not start anymore threads about this.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4428917&postcount=7

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook