1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Seeking a Rudin's PMA-level analysis book with abstract proofs

1. Feb 17, 2016 #1
    Dear Physics Forum personnel,

I recently got interested in the art of abstract proof, where the focus is writing the proof as general as possible rather than starting with a specific cases. Could anyone recommend an analysis book at the level of Rudin's PMA that treats the introductory analysis in an abstract level with abstract proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What does this mean? And why does Rudin not have good proofs?

4. Feb 18, 2016 #3
    How about Rudin's PMA?...If you don't want his book, check out Pugh's "Real mathematical analysis". But if you haven't had any exposure to proofs before, I would suggest working through a book dedicated to single variable real analysis. Like Spivak, Apostol, or Courant.

5. Feb 23, 2016 #4
    I found Bourbaki's series to be really concise! I love it!

I already read Rudin's PMA several times. I was trying to find more concise book that presents general proof, rather than starting with specific cases like the concept of k-cell from Rudin. I actually found that Bourbaki's series to be really good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted