Seeking Advanced Differentiation & Integration Books

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book on derivatives and integration that offers more techniques and manipulations than traditional first-year calculus books. However, it is mentioned that one does not necessarily need a book like this as practicing and repetition is key in mastering these concepts. Additionally, it is noted that the derivative and integral are considered "direct" and "inverse" problems, respectively, and that the latter requires more techniques. It is recommended to practice with a standard calculus textbook instead of seeking out a specialized book on techniques.
albema
I wonder if anyone here knows any DERIVATIVE or differentiation book such as “Exercises in Integration” by Claude George, Springer-Verlag. Any advance would be appreciated.

Actually, I am looking for MORE techniques, manipulations, etc, on INTEGRATION and DERIVATIVE that could not be found on many FIRST-YEAR Calculus book such as Stewart, Varberg, Giordano, etc. Maybe I could find the techniques, manipulations, etc, that suitable with my taste. Any advance would be much appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You don't really need a book like that, and I doubt one exists. With derivatives, you just sit down and do them. No real cleverness is required.

That is another example of what was referred to in a different thread as "direct" and "inverse" problems. We have a direct formula definition of the derivative and so, as musicheck said, "you just sit down and do them". The integral, or anti-derivative, typically is defined as the "inverse" of the derivative and so requires a lot of more or less related "techniques".

My suggestion is to take your Stewart textbook, and do all the derivatives. After about 50, you should fine that it's really repetitive and that's why they never wrote a book about techniques.

Related to Seeking Advanced Differentiation & Integration Books

1. What is the importance of advanced differentiation and integration in science?

Advanced differentiation and integration are fundamental concepts in mathematics that have a wide range of applications in science. They are used to model and analyze complex systems, make predictions and solve problems in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are some common real-world examples where advanced differentiation and integration are used?

Advanced differentiation and integration are used in a variety of real-world examples, such as calculating the velocity and acceleration of an object in motion, predicting the growth of a population, and determining the rate of change of a chemical reaction in chemistry.

3. What are some recommended books for learning advanced differentiation and integration?

Some recommended books for learning advanced differentiation and integration include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Advanced Calculus" by Loomis and Sternberg, and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas.

4. How can I improve my understanding of advanced differentiation and integration?

To improve your understanding of advanced differentiation and integration, it is important to practice and apply these concepts to different problems. You can also seek help from tutors or online resources, attend workshops or courses, and read books on the subject.

5. Are there any online resources for learning advanced differentiation and integration?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning advanced differentiation and integration, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. These resources offer video lectures, practice problems, and interactive exercises to help you learn and improve your skills in this subject.