Seeking to maintain a steam condensation vacuum of about 0.06Bar

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to maintain a desired level of vacuum of 0.06Bar in a scaled-down steam and condensate loop system. They believe the issue is with the current set-up and are considering alternative designs such as Swakelok. They are also looking for suggestions on controlling the temperature in the system. The expert advises using vacuum-grade hardware and implementing an active pressure control system to achieve and maintain the desired pressure.
sanka
Just looking for a bit of advice on a problem I am currently having.

I am doing some research into the condensation characteristics of steam when under vacuum. However, I am having difficulty maintaing the desired level of vacuum of around 0.06Bar in my current system. Anytime I achieve the vacuum, the pressure begins to rise, as air is leaking into the system.

I believe it is an issue with my current set-up, which is a scaled - down version of a steam & condensate loop. This loop is 1/2" in diameter and consists of a seperator, a series of valves, condensate tank and instrumentation for measuring pressure & temperature. It is assembled using standard plumbing materials such a barell nipples, T-pieces, which are all threaded. I initially thought these fittings would be adequate be it seems they are prone to leakages when under vacuum.

In short, I need a steam & condensate loop that can provide steam to the heat exchanger at the desired pressure of 0.06Bar. I want to be able to maintain this pressure without the need for a vacuum pump to continually displace the air leaking in (So I need a system that will not leak under a vacumm of 0.06Bar). I would be grateful for any suggestions regarding my current set-up or if I need to look into an alternative design such as Swakelok, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you're going to have to build a proper vacuum system with vacuum grade hardware. Take a look at companies like MDC to find vacuum hardware that can be bought for such a task, things like cleanliness and seals are very important for vacuum systems.

Also, what are you doing to control the temperature of your system?

Thanks for the advice. So it is possible to achieve and mantain a pressure of 0.06Bar as long as the system is adequately designed and built?

In my system, I have an air-cooled heat exchanger (basically a finned tube with a bank of fans). By varying the speed of these fans, the steam saturation temperature (and hence, pressure) will vary accordingly. By increasing the fan speed (thereby increasing air-side heat transfer coefficient), the saturation temperature of the steam decreases. By decreasing fan speed, the temperature increases. This allows me to control the tempeature and pressure in the system.

sanka said:
Thanks for the advice. So it is possible to achieve and mantain a pressure of 0.06Bar as long as the system is adequately designed and built?

Systems can be built that maintain 10^-6 Torr for weeks or even months at a time, maintaining .06 Bar (45 torr) is definitely possible given the correct equipment. Remember though that in a closed system changes in temperature will also result in pressure changes; if you're looking for a constant-pressure system with variable temperature, you'll have to utilize some sort of active pressure control system.

What is a steam condensation vacuum?

A steam condensation vacuum is a process in which steam is cooled and converted into liquid form, creating a low-pressure environment called a vacuum. This is often used in industrial settings for various purposes, such as distillation and sterilization.

Why is it important to maintain a steam condensation vacuum of about 0.06Bar?

Maintaining a specific pressure, such as 0.06Bar, is crucial for the efficiency and effectiveness of the vacuum process. This pressure is low enough to create a vacuum, but not too low that it becomes difficult to maintain. It also ensures that the steam is adequately condensed and does not escape back into its gaseous state.

What factors can affect the maintenance of a steam condensation vacuum?

Several factors can impact the maintenance of a steam condensation vacuum, such as the temperature and flow rate of the steam, the design and condition of the vacuum equipment, and any external influences, such as air leaks or changes in the surrounding environment.

How do scientists measure and control the pressure in a steam condensation vacuum?

Pressure in a steam condensation vacuum is typically measured using a pressure gauge and controlled through adjustments to the temperature and flow rate of the steam. Other methods, such as using a vacuum pump or adjusting the volume of the containment vessel, may also be used to maintain the desired pressure.

What are some common applications of maintaining a steam condensation vacuum of about 0.06Bar?

A steam condensation vacuum is commonly used in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage production, and chemical processing. It is also used in laboratories for experiments that require a low-pressure environment, such as in vacuum distillation or freeze-drying processes.