Seeming Contradiction of Potential

In summary: V## and you mean ##\Delta V##... or do you mean ##V##? Are you sure?...And don't get me started on the use of bold font for vectors...This whole field of study has so many different conventions it can get quite confusing. People interchange potentials and potential energies in casual speech, some use ##U## or ##V## for potential energy, some use ##V## or ##\phi## for potential; if you see a ##U##, U're in trouble... it could also be thermodynamic energy...And there's more, what do you call a change in potential? ##\Delta V##, right? Wrong! ##
Zack K
If we have a conservative vector field, then we can describe it as ##\textbf{F}=\nabla\phi## where ##\phi## is some potential.

This here is the derivation of Newtons law of gravity:
Picture.jpg

Where ##\nabla u## is the gravitational potential. If we were to ignore it as a gravitational field, why is it force per unit mass? Should it not be the same expression as an arbitrary conservative field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zack K said:
Summary:: I have gotten confused over two definitions of potential I have found. These two definitions of potential seem to argue different expressions.

If we have a conservative vector field, then we can describe it as ##\textbf{F}=\nabla\phi## where ##\phi## is some potential.

This here is the derivation of Newtons law of gravity:View attachment 261776

Where ##\nabla u## is the gravitational potential. If we were to ignore it as a gravitational field, why is it force per unit mass? Should it not be the same expression as an arbitrary conservative field?
The potential energy field is is in units of energy per unit mass. So the associated force field is in units of force per unit mass.

If the potential field were in units of energy per cherry pie then the associated force field would be units of force per cherry pie.

If the potential field were in units of energy per coulomb then the associated force field would be in units of force per coulomb.

If the potential field were in units of energy then the associated force field would be in units of force.

Nothing more exciting than that going on here.

• Informative
Likes Zack K and Dale
##\mathbf{F} = - \nabla U##, if ##U## is potential energy
##\mathbf{g} = - \nabla \phi##, if ##\phi## is potential

@jbriggs444 basically said all there is to say. The gravitational field is the limit as the test mass mass ##m## goes to zero of ##\frac{1}{m}## times the gravitational force. The gravitational potential is the limit as the test mass ##m## goes to zero of ##\frac{1}{m}## times the gravitational potential energy. It's just a factor of ##m##.

N.B. I've put negative signs in because of the conventions with potential and potential energy but it's not strictly necessary to. You can have a perfectly valid force derived from a scalar field with no negative sign out the front.

Likes Zack K
etotheipi said:
##\mathbf{F} = - \nabla U##, if ##U## is potential energy
##\mathbf{g} = - \nabla \phi##, if ##\phi## is potential

@jbriggs444 basically said all there is to say. The gravitational field is the limit as the test mass mass ##m## goes to zero of ##\frac{1}{m}## times the gravitational force. The gravitational potential is the limit as the test mass ##m## goes to zero of ##\frac{1}{m}## times the gravitational potential energy. It's just a factor of ##m##.

N.B. I've put negative signs in because of the conventions with potential and potential energy but it's not strictly necessary to. You can have a perfectly valid force derived from a scalar field with no negative sign out the front.
I seem to have forgotten that g was associated with a vector field, thank you. So it is written as ##\textbf{F}=m\textbf{g}= -m\nabla u##.
etotheipi said:
The gravitational potential is the limit as the test mass m goes to zero of ##\frac{1}{m}## times the gravitational potential energy.
I have never seen this expression. So are you saying ##u= \lim_{m \to 0} \frac{U}{m}##(U as potential energy)? Could you point me to where I can find this expression?

I think the idea is that you don't want the introduction of the test mass to affect the mass you're interested in analysing. Making it's mass negligible means that the force exerted between it and the source masses is small enough so as to cause no funky business like acceleration of the source masses.

I can't remember where I saw it, it might have actually been in an electrostatics textbook somewhere. Perhaps someone else can advise.

Zack K said:
Could you point me to where I can find this expression?
I would not worry overmuch about it. Just realize that gravitational potential is most reasonably expressed in energy per unit mass. And electrostatic potential is most reasonably expressed in energy per unit charge.

Which is nothing more than realizing that a wagon with two tons of bricks at the top of a hill has twice as much potential energy as a wagon with only one ton of bricks. The potential [energy] of the field scales with your test mass.

[Edit courtesy of @hutchphd]

If you have potential in standard units and you want potential energy, multiply by the size of your test mass.

If you have the potential energy of your test mass and you want potential in standard units, divide by the size of your test mass.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi and Zack K
jbriggs444 said:
I would not worry overmuch about it. Just realize that gravitational potential is most reasonably expressed in energy per unit mass. And electrostatic potential is most reasonably expressed in energy per unit charge.

Which is nothing more than realizing that a wagon with two tons of bricks at the top of a hill has twice as much potential energy as a wagon with only one ton of bricks. The potential of the field scales with your test mass.
It seems a semester of vector calculus had me fixated on the definition of a conservative field. Scalars are in place for gravitational and electric fields to distinct them from each other (or some better wording than what I said).

jbriggs444 said:
The potential of the field scales with your test mass.
I am sorry but this is not correctly stated. The potential energy scales with your test mass. The potential most assuredly does not.

Likes jbriggs444
I believe we are all getting the COVID-19 cabin fever...

Likes anorlunda
This whole field of study has so many different conventions it can get quite confusing. People interchange potentials and potential energies in casual speech, some use ##U## or ##V## for potential energy, some use ##V## or ##\phi## for potential; if you see a ##U##, U're in trouble... it could also be thermodynamic energy...

And there's more, what do you call a change in potential? ##\Delta V##, right? Wrong! ##V## will do. In fact, if you're an electrochemist then you don't even say the word 'change' or 'difference', if you want to refer to a potential difference between electrode and the solution you just call it an electrode potential.

Is this the cabin fever kicking in?

hutchphd said:
I believe we are all getting the COVID-19 cabin fever...
It all balances out. Exponential COVID-19 in a log cabin.

Likes Zack K
etotheipi said:
Is this the cabin fever kicking in?

Personally I never interchange potential and potential energy and I vigorously and annoyingly object if someone does. It is incorrect. Worse it is dimensionally incorrect But the choice of letters for anything is seldom universal so care is warranted.

Voltage is usually defined with respect to an accepted standard. For the EE it is wrt a local ground potential. For the electrochemist it is with respect to some standard electrode half cell (I don't know what) so that is just a question of not endlessly repeating the standard. It is not really incorrect, but is a shortcut. So I can live with this.

But don't get me started on acronyms. At my job I was often called in for design reviews for various devices . The first acronym that was uttered I would rather rudely request "English please" and continue repeatedly until acronyms ceased. After a while my reputation preceded me and this was seldom required...one useful prerogative of being credentialed.

• Love
Likes weirdoguy and etotheipi
hutchphd said:
Voltage is usually defined with respect to an accepted standard. For the EE it is wrt a local ground potential. For the electrochemist it is with respect to some standard electrode half cell (I don't know what) so that is just a question of not endlessly repeating the standard. It is not really incorrect, but is a shortcut. So I can live with this.
Yeah, electrode potentials are strange because it is an interfacial potential difference measured relative to another interfacial potential difference, something like ##(\phi_{M} - \phi_{soln1}) - (\phi_{ref} - \phi_{soln2})##. If the current ##\rightarrow 0## so that you don't get a potential drop across the solutions then it's equivalent to a relative scale of potentials.
hutchphd said:
But don't get me started on acronyms. At my job I was often called in for design reviews for various devices . The first acronym that was uttered I would rather rudely request "English please" and continue repeatedly until acronyms ceased. After a while my reputation preceded me and this was seldom required...one useful prerogative of being credentialed.

You'd love this paper..., credit to @DennisN in the TIL thread :wink:

Likes DennisN

What is the "Seeming Contradiction of Potential"?

The "Seeming Contradiction of Potential" refers to the idea that something can have the potential to be or do something, yet it may never actually realize that potential.

How does this contradiction occur?

This contradiction occurs when there are external factors or limitations that prevent the potential from being fully realized. For example, a seed may have the potential to grow into a tree, but if it does not receive enough sunlight or water, it may never reach its full potential.

Can something have potential without ever realizing it?

Yes, potential is simply the capacity or ability for something to be or do something. It does not guarantee that it will actually happen. Many factors can prevent potential from being fully realized.

Is potential a fixed or variable concept?

Potential can be both fixed and variable. Some things may have a fixed potential, such as the maximum height a tree can grow, while others may have a variable potential, such as a person's potential for success which can be influenced by various factors.

How does the "Seeming Contradiction of Potential" impact scientific research?

The "Seeming Contradiction of Potential" is an important concept in scientific research as it reminds scientists to consider all factors and limitations when studying potential outcomes. It also highlights the importance of recognizing and addressing potential barriers to achieving desired results.