Selecting the correct power source for a Cockroft-Walton Multiplier

In summary, the conversation is about selecting materials for a voltage multiplier that can vary a DC voltage source from 0-6kV and regulate current up to 20mA. The individual has purchased .001uF capacitors and diodes rated at 20kV and 30mA, and is trying to follow a schematic from a provided link. They are confused about how to get 120VAC from their wall to the multiplier and if a regulated AC voltage source would work without damaging components. They also inquire about regulating the current. However, the conversation concludes with a recommendation to seek help from an experienced electrical engineer due to the potential dangers involved.
Cu_extractor
Hello. I'm in the process of selecting materials for a voltage multiplier. I need to be able to vary a DC voltage source from 0-6kV, possibly with a regulated current up to 20mA.

http://www.diyphysics.com/2012/02/0...upply-with-neat-trick-for-switching-polarity/

I bought .001uF capacitors rated at 20kV & 30mA. I bought diodes rated @ 20kV & 30mA.

I'm trying to follow the schematic for the above link but I'm a little confused as to getting 120VAC from my wall to the voltage multiplier. It appears the diodes should cause any AC signal put into this device to convert to a multiplied DC voltage output.

I'm not sure what power source I should connect to the multiplier. Voltage drives current, so would a regulated AC voltage source to the multiplier work without damaging any components? Also, is it possible to regulate the current from 0-20mA?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, we will not be able to help you on this. It is way too dangerous for you to be doing with your limited background and experience. Please try to find an experienced EE near you who is willing to help you in person with this project. There are a number of things you need to do right when dealing with AC Mains projects, and more things you need to do right when working with HV.

Thread is closed.

1. How do I determine the appropriate power source for a Cockroft-Walton Multiplier?

The power source for a Cockroft-Walton Multiplier should have a voltage level that is equal to or slightly higher than the desired output voltage of the multiplier. It should also have enough current capacity to meet the demands of the multiplier. Additionally, the power source should have a low impedance to ensure efficient power transfer.

2. Can I use any type of power source for a Cockroft-Walton Multiplier?

No, not all power sources are suitable for use with a Cockroft-Walton Multiplier. It is important to use a stable and regulated power source to ensure consistent output from the multiplier. Batteries, solar panels, and generators may not provide a stable enough output for the multiplier to function properly.

3. Is AC or DC power better for a Cockroft-Walton Multiplier?

Both AC and DC power can be used for a Cockroft-Walton Multiplier, as long as they meet the voltage and current requirements. However, AC power may require additional components, such as a rectifier, to convert it to DC before it can be used by the multiplier.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when selecting a power source for a Cockroft-Walton Multiplier?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the power source is properly grounded and that all connections are secure to prevent electrical shocks. It is also recommended to use a power supply with built-in safety features, such as overload protection, to avoid damaging the multiplier or causing harm to yourself.

5. Can I use multiple power sources for a Cockroft-Walton Multiplier?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple power sources for a Cockroft-Walton Multiplier. This can be particularly useful when one power source does not have enough voltage or current capacity. However, it is important to properly isolate and regulate each power source to prevent interference and ensure the safety of the multiplier.