Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Selecting the correct power source for a Cockroft-Walton Multiplier

1. Jul 21, 2015 #1
    Hello. I'm in the process of selecting materials for a voltage multiplier. I need to be able to vary a DC voltage source from 0-6kV, possibly with a regulated current up to 20mA.

http://www.diyphysics.com/2012/02/0...upply-with-neat-trick-for-switching-polarity/

I bought .001uF capacitors rated at 20kV & 30mA. I bought diodes rated @ 20kV & 30mA.

I'm trying to follow the schematic for the above link but I'm a little confused as to getting 120VAC from my wall to the voltage multiplier. It appears the diodes should cause any AC signal put into this device to convert to a multiplied DC voltage output.

I'm not sure what power source I should connect to the multiplier. Voltage drives current, so would a regulated AC voltage source to the multiplier work without damaging any components? Also, is it possible to regulate the current from 0-20mA?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, we will not be able to help you on this. It is way too dangerous for you to be doing with your limited background and experience. Please try to find an experienced EE near you who is willing to help you in person with this project. There are a number of things you need to do right when dealing with AC Mains projects, and more things you need to do right when working with HV.

Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook