Help on Circuit for providing usable DC power, from solar batteryarray

In summary, the conversation is about designing a circuit for a solar power system with a 48V battery array and multiple DC appliances. The purpose of the circuit is to provide an array of DC outputs at specific voltages while ensuring that the output voltages remain constant, regardless of the battery voltage variations. The main concern is to save power and avoid the use of a wasteful DC->AC->DC process. Initial thoughts and questions include using a combination of a voltage-divider and an op-amp based voltage-follower circuit, but concerns about the battery voltage variation and selecting the appropriate op-amps arise. The suggestion is made to use efficient DC/DC converters, which can be found at a lower cost than the initial suggestion. However,
Glurth
Hi everyone,

I have not designed a circuit for, well, decades now, so I’m hoping you can provide me with a bit of guidance.

I have a solar power system with a 48V battery array. (System also includes an inverter [AC->DC + DC->AC], backup generator, solar panels, charge controller, etc..)
I have many DC appliances (network equipment mostly) that require various DC voltages for a power source (but luckily always less than 48V).
These devices are CURRENTLY being powered by using their own AC power supplies. This power is provided by the rest of the solar power system, using a wasteful DC->AC->DC process.

I would like to create a circuit that will take the battery input and provide an array of DC output’s at specific voltages. (Meaning a few outputs at 5v, a few at 12v, etc…)

Reality Issues:
-The total load powered by this circuit, will not be known at the time of design.
-The battery array’s ACTUAL voltage varies over time, as the rest of the solar power system charges (panels & generator) and discharges (uses) it.
-Regardless of the variables above, the output voltages must remain constant.
-POWER! I’m on an off-grid solar power system: so I need to use minimal power. In fact, the primary purpose of this circuit is to save power. (avoid DC->AC->DC)

Initial thoughts & questions:
-I was thinking a combination of: a voltage-divider to generate the desired output voltage, and (an op-amp based) voltage-follower circuit to isolate the voltage-divider from the load. The issue with this circuit is the variation of the battery voltage will still affect the output of the voltage divider.
-So, how can I ensure that the voltage-divider circuit will get 48v input, even if the battery array voltage varies between 48v and 54v? Do I just use a series of diodes (such that their breakdown-voltages add up to 48v, or something just under that) in series with a resistor? Will this suck up power if I use a large resistor? Is there a better way?
-Also, I’m not quite sure how to select which op-amps to use for the voltage-follower. They need to be able to supply a few amps of current, but also don’t need any frequency response. High current op-amps look pretty expensive, should I create the isolating voltage-follower using different components, like transistors (if so how)?
-How do I provide the particular voltage needed to power the op-amp itself? Can I use the 48v regulated input? Use another voltage divider, exclusively for the op-amp power supply? (Don’t think these will work: load will vary.) Use the output of the circuit itself?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The easiest way is to use efficient DC/DC converters. If your power needs are low (30W with Q48 model 18-75vdc input) per device then something like this would work.

http://www.murata-ps.com/data/power/mdc_uei-30w.pdf

If you search the web I'm sure you can find similar modules that will work with several outputs or higher power ratings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion NSAspook.
Alas, that device costs ($46) about twice what I was hoping to spend on this circuit. It also looks like I would need to get a separate device for each output voltage I need. However, simply giving me the term "DC/DC converter" is VERY HELPFUL! I'm looking at the various commercially available products now.

Though I will probably end up with one of those commercial devices, I would still love to make a project of this circuit, for learning purposes.

Glad to help.

You should be able to find good products at about $25 per module. Designing a system with all the other needed parts for wiring, switching and circuit protection (fusing) will still be a good project. The last thing you need is to smoke a expensive piece of equipment with poor voltage regulation from a DIY designed regulator.

(Seems dangerous: power is removed if the load is disconnected.)

Hi there,

Designing a circuit for a solar power system can be a complex task, especially with the variables you have mentioned. Here are some suggestions that may help you in your design process:

1. Use a buck converter: A buck converter is a type of DC-DC converter that can step down a higher voltage to a lower voltage. This can be useful in your case as it can take the varying battery voltage and provide a stable output voltage for your DC appliances. You can choose a buck converter with multiple output channels to provide different voltages for your appliances.

2. Consider using a microcontroller: A microcontroller can be programmed to monitor the battery voltage and adjust the output of the buck converter accordingly. This can ensure that the output voltages remain constant even with varying battery voltage. Additionally, you can program the microcontroller to turn off the buck converter when the load is disconnected, saving power.

3. Use a voltage regulator for the op-amp power supply: You can use a voltage regulator, such as a LM7805, to provide a stable 5V supply for your op-amp. This will ensure that the op-amp operates at a constant voltage, regardless of the load on the circuit.

4. Use a shunt regulator for the voltage divider: A shunt regulator, such as a Zener diode, can be used in parallel with the voltage divider to ensure that the voltage at the output remains constant. This can help in maintaining a stable output even with varying battery voltage.

5. Consider using MOSFETs for the voltage-follower circuit: MOSFETs can be used as a voltage follower and can handle high currents. They are also more efficient than op-amps and can help in reducing power consumption.

Overall, the key is to carefully select and design each component of the circuit to ensure that the output voltages remain stable and power consumption is minimized. I hope this helps and good luck with your circuit design!

1. How do I design a circuit for providing usable DC power from a solar battery array?

To design a circuit for providing usable DC power from a solar battery array, you will need to consider the power requirements of your devices and the capacity of your solar battery array. You will also need to choose the appropriate components, such as a solar charge controller and a DC-DC converter, to regulate and convert the power from the solar array into usable DC power.

2. What is a solar charge controller and why is it important?

A solar charge controller is a device that regulates the flow of power from the solar array to the battery. It prevents overcharging and ensures that the battery is charged at the optimal rate. Without a solar charge controller, the battery may become damaged from overcharging, leading to a shorter lifespan.

3. How do I select the right DC-DC converter for my circuit?

The DC-DC converter is responsible for converting the variable DC power from the solar array into a stable and usable voltage for your devices. To select the right DC-DC converter, you will need to consider the input and output voltage and current ratings, efficiency, and compatibility with your solar battery array. It is recommended to choose a converter with a higher efficiency to minimize energy loss.

4. Can I connect multiple solar battery arrays to the same circuit?

Yes, it is possible to connect multiple solar battery arrays to the same circuit. However, you will need to ensure that the combined power output from the arrays does not exceed the maximum input rating of your components, such as the solar charge controller and DC-DC converter. It is also important to properly size the wiring to handle the increased current.

5. What are the safety considerations when working with a solar battery array circuit?

When working with a solar battery array circuit, it is important to follow proper safety precautions. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and work in a well-ventilated area. Avoid touching any exposed wires or components while the circuit is in operation. It is also recommended to have a professional inspect and approve the circuit before use.