Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Selection rules for hydrogen

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    Please see attachment. What are the arrow heads supposed to mean? Only emission is allowed and no absorption?
    I mean, selection rules allow Δl=±1. But the figure is saying otherwise.

I also read in another book, that the only series observed in absorption is that to the ground state, where it is called the p-series.

Please explain, I am kind of lost in figures and resources.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The image is drawn for emission only - absorption is possible, too, if you have some source of light. The combination of excited atoms plus light of the right frequency for a transition can be rare, however.

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    But if I reversed the arrows in this figure so that I aim to draw a figure of absorption, all drawn lines will be possible, no?
    (i.e, if I reversed the heads with tails of all arrows presented in the figure).

5. Apr 13, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They are possible, but you won't see most absorption lines if you shine light on hydrogen in its ground state.

6. Apr 13, 2013 #5
    Ok, thanks, I just wanted to make sure of they were possible! As selection rules explain. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook