Self induction in a straight wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between direct current in a straight wire, self-induced current, and inductance. It is noted that changes in current through any object will produce a magnetic field, and the energy to resist these changes can come from the stored energy in the magnetic field. The concept of inductivity and the role of Lenz's law in calculating inductance is also mentioned.
jpo
Direct current I in a straight wire is decreasing with time. Let's assume dI/dt is large. Will such change produce self-induced current in the direction of I?

If Lenz's law is an equivalent of Newton's 3rd law, how come changes in straight wire meet no resistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that the system has to react against the change. Is this true?

i think that is where inductivity comes from or the resistance of change of current. and you need a large field to push the current throw the wire.

My question is will there be such inductance. I mean, there is no loop and no flux through it

yes. you don't need a loop. a strait wire will do the trick.

any change in current through any object, whether it be a coil or a straight wire, will produce a magnetic field (inductance). The relationship of inductance to the change in current is calculated by lenz's law

Current decreases with time. Self induction has to presumably supply extra Amps to resist the change. Where will the energy com from to do all this?

jpo said:
Current decreases with time. Self induction has to presumably supply extra Amps to resist the change. Where will the energy com from to do all this?

The magnetic field stores energy. This energy was put there as the current ramped up.

mrspeedybob,
this seems very reasonable, thank you!

1. What is self-induction in a straight wire?

Self-induction in a straight wire is the phenomenon where a changing current in a wire induces an opposing electromotive force (EMF) in the same wire. This is due to the magnetic field created by the changing current, which creates a self-induced EMF that opposes the original current.

2. How does self-induction affect the behavior of a straight wire?

Self-induction causes a delay in the growth or decay of current in a straight wire. This is because the self-induced EMF acts as a resistance to the original current, slowing down its change. This delay is known as inductance and is measured in henries (H).

3. What factors affect the level of self-induction in a straight wire?

The level of self-induction in a straight wire is affected by the length, diameter, and material of the wire, as well as the frequency and strength of the changing current. A longer wire or a wire with a larger diameter will have a higher level of self-induction, while a higher frequency or stronger current will result in a lower level of self-induction.

4. How does self-induction in a straight wire affect the efficiency of electrical devices?

Self-induction can cause energy loss and reduce the efficiency of electrical devices. This is because the self-induced EMF creates a back current that opposes the original current, causing a decrease in the overall current. This decrease in current results in a decrease in power and efficiency.

5. How is self-induction in a straight wire utilized in everyday life?

Self-induction is used in a variety of everyday devices, such as transformers and inductors. These devices use self-induction to change the level of current and voltage in a circuit, making them essential components in electronic devices. Self-induction is also used in appliances with motors, such as refrigerators and washing machines, to regulate the speed and torque of the motor.