Self studying little Spivak's, stuck on Schwartz ineq. for integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving integrable functions and the need to prove that a certain equation has a unique solution. The speaker presents a quadratic expression and its discriminant to explain the importance of proving the uniqueness of the solution. They also mention that the type of integral used may affect the answer.
SrEstroncio

Homework Statement

In an effort to keep me from spending all summer lying on the couch, I recently started reading Michael Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds; while working on problem 1-6 I got stuck on a technical detail and I was wondering if anyone could provide a little insight.

Problem 1-6 says:
Let [itex] f [/itex] and [itex] g [/itex] be integrable functions on [itex] [a,b] [/itex].
Prove that [itex] |\int_a^b fg | \leq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2} [/itex].

Homework Equations

He suggests that you treat the cases [itex] 0=\int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2 [/itex] for some [itex] \lambda \in R [/itex] and [itex] 0 \lt \int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2 [/itex] for all [itex] \lambda [/itex] separately.

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is: how do I know the [itex] \lambda [/itex] is unique?
Considering the two cases given above I got a cuadratic expression in [itex] \lambda [/itex] whose discriminant gave me the strict inequality when [tex] 0 \lt \int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2 [/tex] for all [itex] \lambda [/itex] (since there are no real roots of the equation), but in order to conclude that [\tex] |\int_a^b fg | \leq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2} [/tex] I am forced to assume that the discriminant of the equation is equal to zero (otherwise I get [tex] |\int_a^b fg | \geq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2} [/tex], which is obviously wrong), meaning that there is only one root of the equation, or equivalently that the lambda that satisfies [itex] 0=\int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2 [/itex] is unique, fact that I feel must be proven, not assumed).

How do I know said lambda is unique? Keep in mind that since f and g are integrable (but may not be continuous) one cannot assume that [tex] 0=\int_a^b (f)^2 [/tex] implies [tex] f=0 [/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that:
[tex]
\int (f-\lambda g)^{2}>0
[/tex]
Then:
[tex]
\lambda^{2}\int g^{2}-2\lambda\int fg +\int f^{2}>0
[/tex]
Consider this as a quadratic in [itex]\lambda[/itex], what does this statement say? It says that the entire quadratic lies above the x-axis which in turn implies that there are no real roots which is turn puts a condition on the discriminant of this quadratic.

For the case:
[tex]
\int (f-\lambda g)^{2}=0
[/tex]
The statement means that [itex](f-\lambda g)^{2}=0[/itex], so what does that say about f and g?

For the case:
[tex]
\int (f-\lambda g)^{2}=0
[/tex]
The statement means that [itex](f-\lambda g)^{2}=0[/itex], so what does that say about f and g?

We do not know if [itex] f [/itex] and [itex] g [/itex] are continuous, we only assume them to be integrable, so it is not necessarily true that
[tex]
\int (f-\lambda g)^{2}=0
[/tex]
implies [itex](f-\lambda g)^{2}=0[/itex], since [itex] f-\lambda g [/itex] could be zero except at an isolated number of points (it's integral would still be zero but the function won't be zero everywhere).

Maybe I should elaborate on my question. Suppose
[tex]
\int (f-\lambda g)^{2}=0,
[/tex]
then
[tex]
{\lambda}^2 \int g^2 -2\lambda \int fg + \int f^2 =0.
[/tex]
Solving for [itex] \lambda [/itex] I get
[tex]
\lambda = \frac{2\int fg \pm \sqrt{4{\int fg}^2 -4(\int f^2)(\int g^2)}{2\int g^2}.
[/tex]
Now if the discriminant of the above equation is equal to zero we obtain
[tex]
{\int fg}^2 -(\int f^2)(\int g^2) =0
[/tex]
from which we obtain the equality part of the problem. But how do I know there's exactly one lambda that satisfies the equation? What if the equation had two real solutions? so that [itex] \Delta \geq 0 [/itex], then we would have
[tex]
{\int fg}^2 -(\int f^2)(\int g^2) \geq 0
[/tex]
and we would conclude that
[tex]
{\int fg}^2 \geq (\int f^2)(\int g^2),
[/tex]
which is nonsense. How do I prove the equation has only one solution so that the above explained does not happen?

Last edited:
What type of integral are you using? Riemann or Lebesgue? The answer may be different depending on what you choose.

1. What is "Self studying little Spivak's"?

"Self studying little Spivak's" refers to a popular calculus textbook, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, which is often used for self-study purposes.

2. What is the Schwartz inequality for integrals?

The Schwartz inequality for integrals, also known as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, is a mathematical inequality that relates the inner product of two functions to their norms. It states that for any two functions f and g, the integral of the product of f and g is less than or equal to the product of the integrals of the squares of f and g.

3. Why am I stuck on the Schwartz inequality for integrals?

The Schwartz inequality for integrals can be challenging to understand and apply, especially for self-studying students. It involves concepts such as inner products, norms, and integration techniques, which may require further explanation or practice to fully grasp.

4. How can I improve my understanding of the Schwartz inequality for integrals?

To improve your understanding of the Schwartz inequality for integrals, it is recommended to review the underlying concepts, such as inner products and norms, and to practice solving problems and applying the inequality to different scenarios. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any resources that can help me with the Schwartz inequality for integrals?

Yes, there are many online resources available for self-studying students, such as video tutorials, practice problems, and discussion forums. Additionally, consulting other calculus textbooks or seeking help from a calculus professor or tutor can also be helpful.