Self-Studying PDE this Summer? What's the Best Textbook to Use?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Fizicks1
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
I'll be taking PDE this coming Fall semester, and I want to have a head start by doing some self studying this summer. What's a good textbook you would recommend for PDE?
(the official textbook in my university is "Beginning Partial Differential Equations" by Peter O'Neil but I've heard nothing but bad things about it, and online reviews trashes it)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of PDE class is it?

I liked Haberman's Applied Partial Differential Equations (link). I looked over the ToC of the book you mentioned and it seems fairly close to this one (though Haberman covers some additional topics like Green's functions). I think it's a good introduction to the physical (applied) side of PDEs and found it pretty easy to read.
 
Only one suggestion? I guess there aren't that many good PDE books out there huh.

theorem4.5.9 said:
What kind of PDE class is it?

I liked Haberman's Applied Partial Differential Equations. I looked over the ToC of the book you mentioned and it seems fairly close to this one (though Haberman covers some additional topics like Green's functions). I think it's a good introduction to the physical (applied) side of PDEs and found it pretty easy to read.

Thanks theorem4.5.9, appreciate it. Good thing my university's library carries this book so I can check it out for a while first before I buy it.
Thanks again!
 
"Basic Partial Differential Equations".

It actually proves things, unlike Haberman's.
 
Farlow, PDE for Scientists and Engineers is a nice book to learn from. It covers the material, has lots of examples, and is targeted at scientists and engineers rather than mathematicians. (I assume this is your desire since you inquired at Physics Forums!) It is a Dover book, so it is quite inexpensive. Highly recommended...