Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self taught calculus?

1. Sep 3, 2004 #1
    hola. this year in high school i was enrolled in AP calculus. the year before we had an awesome teacher who was incredibly smart. this year, however, he left and we got a new teacher. it is her first year teaching this. consequently, shes not teaching well and id say 75% of the class dropped it (nearly all the rest are contemplating doing the same), including me. so, ive decided, at least considered, to go to the library and get a calculus book and have a little independent study. are there any particularly good books for this? at the library they had one called quick (fast?) calculus that i was looking at. so, im just wondering if there are any books that would help me accomplish this. mmk. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2004 #2
    Just stay far away from "The complete idiot's guide to calculus" (by Michael Kelley).

4. Sep 3, 2004 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've never read Michael Kelley's "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Calculus", but his "Master the AP Caluculus AB and BC Tests" is very good.

5. Sep 3, 2004 #4
    'Calculus Made Easy' by Silvanus P. Thompson. It's been around for ages, and it's always recommended, but with good reason. Richard Feynmann learnt from, I learnt from it, you should do the same. (If you want :wink: )

6. Sep 3, 2004 #5
    I thought Feynman first learned calculus from "Calculus For The Practical Man" ? Thats what he said in the video interview "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out".

Where did you hear he learned it from "Calculus Made Easy"? I don't doubt you and it would be neat to know he used that book still available ;)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  7. Sep 4, 2004 #6
    A word of caution

saying you are going to teach ur self calculus is much easyier said than done
    i said i was going to do it this summer
    but i ran out of time

and now I must take the class.

8. Sep 4, 2004 #7
    "Quick Calculus" is a good little book, and is easy to find on eBay, bibliofind.com, and abebooks.com

9. Sep 4, 2004 #8
    Calculus by Tarasov(MIR publishers translated from russian) is superb ,it is in a student teacher conversation format and is comprehensible. :bugeye: :smile:
    I dont how to get it though :frown: .
    I found it our city public library
    cheers
    poolwin2001

10. Sep 5, 2004 #9
    singleton: It seems that 'Calculus for The Practical Man' was the name of Feynmann's calculus scrapbook, and that he learnt the essentials from 'Calculus Made Easy'.

11. Sep 5, 2004 #10
    I was wondering the same

I am looking into becoming an actuary since the IT field is dying. I am wanting to learn Calculus by myself, and then go to college and take the classes. See I work fulltime(10+hours per day) and do not want to have to study for many hours a day. I've heard How to Ace Calculus was a good book from many Calculus websites. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0716731606/qid=1094443284/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-7234958-0775969

I would have to take three Calc courses then ace the first Actuary exam. I have already taken Probability and Stats in college, but have since forgottten everything except for Algebra.

12. Sep 6, 2004 #11
    I agree. I really liked this book.

I also recommend "How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide" as a suppliment. It does a pretty good job of smoothing out the whole learning experience, plus it's pretty darn funny.

13. Sep 6, 2004 #12
    RE: Feynman

According to Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman, Feynman said that he had studied a bit from Calculus for the Practical Man, and when he started to goof off in his highschool physics class, his teacher gave him Advanced Calculus by Woods.

It's on page 86 in case you have it.

14. Sep 7, 2004 #13

How to Ace Calculus is hella funny. I highly recommend Barron's Calculus the Easy Way. The math is taught and told in the form of a fairy tale. I was able to do Calculus problems two years before I actually took the class.

15. Sep 7, 2004 #14
    I think "The complete idiot's guide to calculus" is exactly what you need.
    You can go to Kelly's website www.calculus-help.com and become familiar with the way Micheal Kelly, teaches calculus.

16. Sep 7, 2004 #15
    Did you just call him an idiot?

(I kid, I kid ;)).

17. Sep 7, 2004 #16
    An idiot even can't spell " calculus ".
    That's just a trade mark.

:tongue2: :yuck: :biggrin:

18. Sep 7, 2004 #17

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

If you are not an idiot , I recommend using a better book, like the classic honors texts by Spivak, or Courant, or Apostol, or easier: Lectures on freshman calculus, by cruse and granberg.

Or even the all time classic engineeringn text: George B. Thomas ("alternate edition") or the 9th edition by Thomas and Finney.

Or just use the text your teacher is using and just read it. Tehn you can impress her by asking questiuons. many poor teachers are much better one on one at answering questions.

Look at us!

I liked Silvanus P Thompson as a freshman too, but mostly for the jokes. You will not learn anything there except how to do problems like a monkey. I.e. you will not learn why anything is true, since he skips that part.

19. Sep 12, 2004 #18
    i don't think it should be too hard (most people who take the class probably think the same initially). i figure i can ask her or my physics teacher if i get stuck (i did drop the class so now i have a study hall in place that i can self teach it in).
    whos feynman? ill see if any library has the calculus made easy. do the books meant for the AP test actually teach caculus or just brush up skills? is calculus made easy so good that i should buy it if the library doesn't have it?

thanks for the recommendations. ill try to check them out.

20. Sep 12, 2004 #19
  21. Sep 12, 2004 #20
    Has anyone here read "Calculus For Cats" By Ken Amdahl and Jim Loats.
    I read a book by Ken Amdahl called "There Are No Electrons: Electronics for Earthlings". It was pretty good, very basic and everything was dumbed down, but that is not such a bad thing if someone is just starting out on a new subject. Anyways, I know absolutely nothing about Calculus, and I take my first calculus class summer '05, I was thinking about reading this book before I take the class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?