Semiclassical approach to emission

In summary, the conversation discussed finding information on the calculation of the emission spectrum using the semiclassical approach. The topic of money stimulated emission was brought up as well. The recommended resource for the topic was the Jaynes-Cummings model, specifically the article by E.T. Jaynes and F.W. Cummings. Other overview articles on this topic can also be found online.
the_wizard
Where can i find something on the calculation of the emission spectrum with the semiclassical approach?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Emission of what? X-ray? Secondary electrons? Twinkies?

Zz.

Sorry, mmmm money?...If money is not possible, my second choice is emission of photons by a system. For example a two level system interacting with a monochromatic E.M. wave

the_wizard said:
Sorry, mmmm money?

I am not sure about the semiclassical approach, but the classical approach to emission of money is working. At least for spontaneous emission. If you are interested in stimulated emission you might have to ask someone who was involved with Lehman Brothers or some related bank.

the_wizard said:
...If money is not possible, my second choice is emission of photons by a system. For example a two level system interacting with a monochromatic E.M. wave

The standard reference is: E.T. Jaynes, F.W. Cummings (1963). "Comparison of quantum and semiclassical radiation theories with application to the beam maser". Proc. IEEE 51 (1): 89–109. DOI:10.1109/PROC.1963.1664.

If you do not have access to that article, there are also plenty of overview articles on what has been termed the Jaynes-Cummings model. (two-level atom interacting with a quantized cavity mode). Some of them should also be available for free or on the ArXiv. A quick google search should find you one of these.

Please excuse me for taking so long to answer, i want to thanks for the suggestion it has been helpful! :)

Also for money stimulated emission!

1. What is the semiclassical approach to emission?

The semiclassical approach to emission is a theoretical framework used in quantum mechanics to describe the emission of electromagnetic radiation from an atom or molecule. It combines classical and quantum mechanical principles to explain the behavior of the particles involved in the emission process.

2. How does the semiclassical approach differ from the classical and quantum mechanical approaches?

The semiclassical approach differs from the classical approach by taking into account the quantization of energy levels in atoms and molecules. It also differs from the quantum mechanical approach by incorporating classical concepts, such as the trajectories of particles, to describe the emission process.

3. What are the main applications of the semiclassical approach to emission?

The semiclassical approach to emission is used in various fields, including spectroscopy, laser physics, and solid-state physics. It is particularly useful in studying the behavior of atoms and molecules in strong electromagnetic fields.

4. What are the limitations of the semiclassical approach to emission?

One of the main limitations of the semiclassical approach is that it does not account for the wave-like nature of particles, which is a crucial aspect of quantum mechanics. It also does not take into account the interactions between particles, which can be significant in certain systems.

5. How is the semiclassical approach to emission useful in practical applications?

The semiclassical approach is useful in practical applications because it provides a more intuitive and simpler way to understand the behavior of particles in emission processes. It also allows for the prediction and analysis of experimental results in a more straightforward manner compared to the full quantum mechanical approach.