1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separable Differential Equations

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm having trouble understanding my class notes from a lecture on separable differential equations.

I would like to solve the equation g(y)y' = f(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

g(y)y' = f(x), G(x), F(x) exists and are continuous

The left side is the derivative of G(y(x)) and the right is F(x) + C

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} G(y(x)) = \frac{d}{dx} F(x) + C[/tex]

G'(y(x))y'(x) = g(y(x))y'(x)

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} (F(x) + C) = F'(x) + 0 = f(x)[/tex]

G(y(x)) = F(x) + C

So do you simply do

G-1(G(y(x))) = y(x) = G-1(F(x)) + G-1(C) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming [itex]G^{-1}[/itex] exists and is a 1:1 map, then yes....Some functions do not have inverses that uniquely determine y(x), for instance [itex]y^2(x)=F(x)+C \Rightarrow y(x)= \pm \sqrt{F(x)+C}[/itex] which is not a single valued function.

4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    hello, I'm also taking a class on ODE but i have a problem -i use An Intro course in Diff. eq.'s by Zill - that i get a nonsense result here is the eq:

sin3x + 2y(cos3x)^3 = 0 (here ^ is to raise a power.how are u raising powers & all the mathematical writings?)

the eq in standard form look: (y^2)'=2ydy= -sin3x dx/2(cos 3x)^3.

the last result i get which is nonsense ofcourse is: y^2 = -1/6(cos3x)^2. another result includes tan3x but is still negative.

so y^2 is negative which is impossible. is the result right? I think there's a problem with the D.E. given.

hope u can help. thx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?