Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separable space definition and applications

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    I read in my metric spaces book that a separable space is that which has a countable, dense subset. This definition has no intuitive meaning to me. I'm able to show if a space is dense or not, and I think I can show a space is countable. But, I'm missing the "so what?!"

I would like to understand this concept better. Perhaps the root of the problem is my lack of understanding of the definition of dense. I know dense means the closure of the space is equal to the space (the space and its derived set). I know if a set A is dense in B, then for every element a of A, there exists a sequence bn in B such that bn approximates a (can't say bn converges to a since a not in B).

Am I missing something about the concept of dense maybe?

What sorts of fun things does one do with a separable space? What does a nonseparable space imply?

Just a note - I am not familiar with topology, only real analysis and metric spaces. The way my classes were structured, we seemed to skip most concepts involving open sets :frown:, so if there's a way to help me understand without talking about open sets or open covers, that would be really appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2

4. Apr 17, 2012 #3
    if the space has only an uncountable basis, you can't build metric space structure onto it. so one way of getting a countable basis is in finding a countable dense subset to attach it to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook