Separable space definition and applications

In summary, In summary, a separable space is one that has a countable, dense subset. This concept may seem unintuitive, but it is useful in understanding the structure of a space. A set is dense in a space if every element in the space can be approximated by a sequence in the set. This can be a difficult concept to grasp, but there are alternative ways to think about it, such as through topological properties. Additionally, separable spaces have interesting properties and are important in metric space theory. Non-separable spaces, on the other hand, cannot have a countable basis and may not be able to have a metric space structure.
Somefantastik
I read in my metric spaces book that a separable space is that which has a countable, dense subset. This definition has no intuitive meaning to me. I'm able to show if a space is dense or not, and I think I can show a space is countable. But, I'm missing the "so what?!"

I would like to understand this concept better. Perhaps the root of the problem is my lack of understanding of the definition of dense. I know dense means the closure of the space is equal to the space (the space and its derived set). I know if a set A is dense in B, then for every element a of A, there exists a sequence bn in B such that bn approximates a (can't say bn converges to a since a not in B).

Am I missing something about the concept of dense maybe?

What sorts of fun things does one do with a separable space? What does a nonseparable space imply?

Just a note - I am not familiar with topology, only real analysis and metric spaces. The way my classes were structured, we seemed to skip most concepts involving open sets :frown:, so if there's a way to help me understand without talking about open sets or open covers, that would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Somefantastik said:
I read in my metric spaces book that a separable space is that which has a countable, dense subset. This definition has no intuitive meaning to me. I'm able to show if a space is dense or not, and I think I can show a space is countable. But, I'm missing the "so what?!"

I would like to understand this concept better. Perhaps the root of the problem is my lack of understanding of the definition of dense. I know dense means the closure of the space is equal to the space (the space and its derived set). I know if a set A is dense in B, then for every element a of A, there exists a sequence bn in B such that bn approximates a (can't say bn converges to a since a not in B).

*** Here it is exactly the other way around: A dense in B means that for any element in B there exists a sequence in A that converges to that element. ***

Am I missing something about the concept of dense maybe?

*** Perhaps. Another equivalent definition of dense set, which for me is way easier to conceptualize, is the following:

A set A in a topological space X (take this to be a metric space, if you prefer) is dense in X iff [itex]A\cap U\neq \emptyset [/itex] for any

open non-empty set [itex]U\subset X[/itex]

DonAntonio ***

What sorts of fun things does one do with a separable space? What does a nonseparable space imply?

Just a note - I am not familiar with topology, only real analysis and metric spaces. The way my classes were structured, we seemed to skip most concepts involving open sets :frown:, so if there's a way to help me understand without talking about open sets or open covers, that would be really appreciated.

if the space has only an uncountable basis, you can't build metric space structure onto it. so one way of getting a countable basis is in finding a countable dense subset to attach it to.

What is a separable space?

A separable space is a topological space that contains a countable dense subset. This means that there exists a subset of points that are "close" to every point in the space, and that this subset is countable (has a cardinality of a natural number). Essentially, this means that the space is not "too big" or "too spread out" and has enough structure to be analyzed and studied.

What are some examples of separable spaces?

Some examples of separable spaces include Euclidean spaces (such as R^n), metric spaces (such as the real numbers with the standard metric), and many other familiar spaces such as the rational numbers and finite sets.

Why are separable spaces important in mathematics?

Separable spaces are important in mathematics because they provide a framework for studying and understanding more complicated spaces. Many theorems and concepts in mathematics are first proven for separable spaces and then extended to more general cases. Additionally, separability allows for more efficient and effective analysis and computations.

What are some applications of separable spaces?

Separable spaces have many applications in various areas of mathematics, including functional analysis, topology, and geometry. They are also used in physics, computer science, and engineering, for example in the study of dynamical systems and optimization problems.

Is every metric space a separable space?

No, not every metric space is a separable space. For example, the space of continuous functions on a closed interval with the sup norm is not separable. However, every complete metric space is separable, and many commonly used metric spaces are also separable.