Separation of Variables/ODE

• MHB
  • Thread starter jmorgan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separation
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of separation of variables method to solve the 1d heat equation for a homogeneous metal rod with boundary conditions and initial temperature distribution. This method leads to the solution of two ODEs: G'(t) = kµG and F''(x) = µF, where µ is a constant. The conversation also touches upon some initial attempts at solving these ODEs.
jmorgan
The temperature distribution u(x, t), at time t > 0, along a homogeneous
metal rod can be obtained by solving the 1d heat equation;

ut = kuxx (1)

where k = 2 is a constant. The length of the rod is 1m and the temperature
at either end of the rod is zero for all time, so that the boundary conditions
are

u(0, t) = u(1, t)=0

and the initial temperature distribution is:

u(x, 0) = ⇢ 0, 0 < x < 0.5
1, 0.5 < x < 1

QUESTION :

Let u(x, t) = F(x)G(t) and using the separation of variables method,
show that the solution of the the 1d heat equation (1) requires the
solution of the following two ODEs:
G'(t) = kµG and F''(x) = µF, where µ is a constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Seperation of Variables/ODE

jmorgan said:
The temperature distribution u(x, t), at time t > 0, along a homogeneous
metal rod can be obtained by solving the 1d heat equation;

ut = kuxx (1)

where k = 2 is a constant. The length of the rod is 1m and the temperature
at either end of the rod is zero for all time, so that the boundary conditions
are

u(0, t) = u(1, t)=0

and the initial temperature distribution is:

u(x, 0) = ⇢ 0, 0 < x < 0.5
1, 0.5 < x < 1

QUESTION :

Let u(x, t) = F(x)G(t) and using the separation of variables method,
show that the solution of the the 1d heat equation (1) requires the
solution of the following two ODEs:
G'(t) = kµG and F''(x) = µF, where µ is a constant.

Well first of all, this isn't an ODE, it's a PDE.

What have you tried so far?

I have began by :

XT' = kX''T

rearrange: T'/T=kX''/X=\alpha

trying to solve: T'/T=\alpha and kX''/X=\alpha

and that is the furthest I can go

Ignore my previous reply, I now have:

XT' = kX''T

divide both by kXT to get: T'/kT = X''/X

so T'/kT = µ and X''/x = µ (this is where G'(t)=k µG and F''(x)= µF is required)

now I am stuck on how to solve these.

jmorgan said:
Ignore my previous reply, I now have:

XT' = kX''T

divide both by kXT to get: T'/kT = X''/X

so T'/kT = µ and X''/x = µ (this is where G'(t)=k µG and F''(x)= µF is required)

now I am stuck on how to solve these.

The first is a separable first order DE, and the second can be rearranged into a linear homogeneous second order DE with constant coefficients. Both have very standard methods of solution.

1. What is separation of variables in the context of ODEs?

Separation of variables is a method used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) in which the dependent variable can be expressed as the product of two functions, each depending on only one of the independent variables. This allows the ODE to be separated into two simpler equations, which can then be solved independently.

2. When is separation of variables method applicable?

Separation of variables is applicable to ODEs that are linear and homogeneous, meaning that the dependent variable and its derivatives appear with a maximum exponent of 1 and the equation does not contain any constant terms. Additionally, the ODE must be separable, meaning that the dependent variable can be expressed as a product of two functions, each depending on only one of the independent variables.

3. What are the steps involved in using separation of variables to solve an ODE?

The general steps for using separation of variables to solve an ODE are as follows:

1. Write the ODE in its standard form, with the dependent variable and its derivatives on one side and all other terms on the other side.
  2. Separate the dependent variable and its derivatives from the rest of the terms by dividing both sides by the appropriate function.
  3. Integrate both sides with respect to the independent variable, treating the separated terms as constants.
  4. Solve for the constant of integration and combine the separated terms to get the general solution.
  5. If initial conditions are given, use them to find the particular solution.

4. Are there any limitations of the separation of variables method?

Yes, there are some limitations of the separation of variables method. As mentioned earlier, the ODE must be linear, homogeneous, and separable for this method to be applicable. Additionally, this method may not work for all types of boundary conditions, and it may not be possible to find a general solution for some ODEs using this method.

5. Can separation of variables be used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs)?

Yes, separation of variables can be used to solve some types of PDEs, particularly those with separable variables. However, this method is more commonly used for ODEs and may not be applicable to all types of PDEs. Other methods, such as the method of characteristics, may be more suitable for solving PDEs.