1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seperable Differential Equations, Multiplicative Constant Confusion! Help Clarify!

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    I curiously never had a problem solving Seperable Equations in the Seperable Equations chapter of the Boyce/Diprima book. I am the kind of person who likes to do things the long way, and encountered a problem solving for an Integrating Factor(Linear ODE, NOT EXACT) the long proofy way. I tend not to use the (e^(INT)p(x)dx) formula. Formulas are too easy to forget.

In solving for the integrating factor, I came upon an easy seperable equation of course! I split this one up a little differently than usually, still correctly I think? I came up with an answer that differs from the formula approach.

Is the 1/3 absorbed by the constant or something?
    PDF ATTACHED

Thanks,

Dane

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Seperable Differential Equations, Multiplicative Constant Confusion! Help Clarify

Yes you could say they are equal. I prefer to say they are the same thing - and if you wrote 15K3 instead of K1 it would the same thing. At this stage they are both arbitrary, in a sense they are not anything. When you make conform to an initial condition you will get the same result from either of them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook