1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seperation of a Point and Convex Set

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Seperation of a Point and Convex Set

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let C be a closed convex set and let r be a point not in C. It is a fact that there is a point p in C with |r - p| l<= |r - q| for all q in C.

Let L be the perpendicular bisector of the line segment from r to p. Show that no point of C lies on L or in the half-plane, determined by L, which contains r.

2. The attempt at a solution
    The point p happens to be the closest point in C to r. I can imagine how the point s in the middle of the line segment from r to p and some of the points near s on L could not be in C because then there would be a closer point to r in C than p. But what about points far away from s? I'm guessing the fact that C is closed and convex comes into play at this point, but how?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe the idea you want to pursue is this:

Suppose there is a point x on L that is in C and consider the line L' joining x and p. Then all points of that line are in C because C is convex, and the orthogonal projection of r on that line is not p because if it were, the line L' would be parallel to L and hence never meet it.

(the orthogonal projection of r on L' is the point of L' that minimizes the distance btw L' and r. since L' is in C, we have a contradiction is that o.p. is not p)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  4. Feb 28, 2008 #3
    That is a neat argument. If I imagine L', I can visualize how a point on it very close to p will be closer to r than p. This has now been reduced to a geometry problem which I think I can solve. Thanks a lot.

5. Feb 29, 2008 #4
    I have another problem: Show that each closed convex set is the intersection of all the closed half-planes that contain it.

For a point r not in C, I can always determine a line L as described in the previous posts which consequently determines an open half-plane that contains C but not r. If I do this for every point r not in C and take the intersection of these open half-planes, the intersection will not contain any of the points not in C. In other words, the intersection will just contain C.

The only problem here is that the half-planes are open. Perhaps the author meant to write open instead of closed. What do you think?

6. Feb 29, 2008 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think an arbitrary intersection of half spaces will be closed, so no prob.

just like the intersection of all (1/n,infty) is [0,,infty).

7. Feb 29, 2008 #6
    I guess it doesn't really matter whether the half-planes containing C are open or closed because either way, they will exclude their corresponding r's and so the intersection will always end up having only points in C.

8. Feb 29, 2008 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

just an edit to my post: I didn't meant an arbitrary intersection of half space, but rather the intersection of those half-space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?