Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence Convergence

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    If a sequence [tex]\{f_n\}[/tex] is convergent in [tex]\left(C[0,1],||\cdot||_{\infty}\right)[/tex] then it is also convergent in [tex]\left(C[0,1],||\cdot||_1\right)[/tex].

I think I understand why this is true. (In my own words) The relationship between the supremum norm and the usual norm (really any p-norm) is that the supremum norm is the greatest value in all p-norms. So, for all sequences, if the sequence is convergent in the supremum norm it's convergent in all norms on the same space. Is this true?

Also, for a sequence to converge it means
    [tex]\exists \, f \,\ni \,\forall \,\epsilon>0 \,\exists\, N\ni\, \forall\, x\in C[0,1][/tex]
    [tex]||f_n-f||_{\infty}<\epsilon \quad \forall n>N[/tex]

This is a given, but how could I use that to prove the implied part? This is for my own edification.

Also, I can think of a counter example to show the other direction is not true.
    Such as, [tex]f_n(t)=t^n \quad \text{then} \quad ||f_n||_1\rightarrow 0[/tex]
    but, [tex]||f_n||_{\infty}\rightarrow 1[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

Re: Convergence

The first statement is not true in general, only for measure spaces where the total measure is finite.

Counterexample on the real line:

fn(x)=1 -n<x<n, =0 |x|>n+1, and connect up to be continuous in between.
    sup |fn(x)|=1, while all Lp norms become infinite.
  4. Feb 26, 2010 #3

Right, thank you. That is a good point. I haven't yet thought about this proclamation in all spaces. My statement was about the behavior was concerning this normed metric space.
  5. Feb 27, 2010 #4

Since (C[0,1],[tex]||\cdot||_{\infty}[/tex]) is complete and [tex]\{f_n\}[/tex] is convergent,
    we know every sequence in (C[0,1],[tex]||\cdot||_{\infty}[/tex]) is Cauchy convergent and converges uniformly [tex]\Rightarrow \quad ||f_n-f||_{\infty}\rightarrow \, 0[/tex].
    Because of this we also know:
    [tex]||f_n-f||_1\rightarrow \, 0[/tex]

Is my reasoning correct?
  6. Feb 28, 2010 #5

Science Advisor

Yes, You can use the same idea for all Lp norms.
  7. Feb 28, 2010 #6

Thanks, I appreciate your input.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook