1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence limit (factorial derivative?)

1. Nov 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the limit of the sequence given by [itex]S_{n}=\frac{n^{n}}{n!}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]lim_{n->∞}\frac{n^{n}}{n!}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the sequence diverges, but that doesn't mean the limit is also ∞, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Either the function f(n) = n^n / n! converges, or else f(n) → +∞ or f(n) → -∞ or else f(n) "oscillates" as n → ∞ in such a way that f(n) does not approach a definite value---not even ± ∞. You need to decide which applies here.

RGV

4. Nov 15, 2012 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Ask yourself, which grows faster, the numerator or the denominator.

5. Nov 15, 2012 #4
    Thank you both. As the numerator grows faster, and it's a divergence sequence, then the limit is +∞. Now, where may I start to formally prove it?

6. Nov 15, 2012 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Can you prove that [itex] n^n > n! [/itex] think about intervals.

7. Nov 15, 2012 #6
    Yes, I can. For instance, I just evaluated [itex]lim_{n->∞}\frac{3^{n}}{(n+3)!}[/itex] as being 0 by showing that [itex]\forall x \geq 0, (n+3)!>3^{n}[/itex]. In a similar way, I may show that [itex]n^{n}>n![/itex] in the same interval.

It just seems to me that this method isn't rigorous enough, you know? As an example, 3>1 is true, but that does't mean that [itex]lim_{x->∞}\frac{x}{3x}=0[/itex]

Thank you

8. Nov 15, 2012 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't see that for arbitrary n

n times n > 1 times 2 times ... times n ?

9. Nov 15, 2012 #8
    Yes, I do, but this seems as an intuitive approach, to me. Isn't it?

Just to be sure I got the concepts correctly: Let [itex]s_{n}=\frac{3^{n}}{(n+3)!}[/itex]. Then, [itex]s_{1}, s_{2}, ..., s_{n}[/itex] is a sequence, and the partial sum is [itex]S_{x}=s_{1}+s_{2}+...+s_{x}[/itex]. That being said, when I say I want to know the limit of the sequence [itex](lim_{n->∞}\frac{3^{n}}{(n+3)!})[/itex], I'm evaluating the "last" term, [itex]s_{n}[/itex], not the sum to the "last" term, [itex]S_{n}[/itex] right?

Many thanks

10. Nov 15, 2012 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is not quite enough: you need [itex] n^n / n! [/itex] to be unbounded, not just > 1.

RGV

11. Nov 15, 2012 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you prove that, for n>3

[tex] n^n > \frac{n^n}{n!} > n +1 [/tex] ?

12. Nov 18, 2012 #11
    May it be done by induction? It clearly holds for n=3, then I assume it also holds for n=j, and show it's also valid for n=j+1. (Sorry, no paper and pen around right now, I'll try it as soon as I can)

Thanks

13. Nov 19, 2012 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think my method for the second inequality (the 1st is obvious) is induction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook