1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence of functions in L^2[-pi,pi]

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the functions [tex]f_n(x)=e^{inx},n\in\mathbb{Z},-\pi\leq x\leq\pi[/tex] viewed as points in [tex]\mathscr{L}^2[-\pi,\pi][/tex]. Prove that this set of functions is closed and bounded, but not compact.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I'm first trying to prove that the set of functions is closed. Let g be a limit point of the set, so given any positive number epsilon, there exists fn such that [tex]\|f_n-g\|_2<\sqrt{\epsilon}[/tex]. Squaring both sides, I get on the left hand side

[tex]
    2\pi -2\text{Re}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}g(x)e^{-inx}dx+\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}|g(x)|^2 dx
    [/tex]

So

[tex]
    g\sim\sum\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty}c_n e^{inx}
    [/tex]

and by Parseval's Theorem,

[tex]
    \sum\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty}|c_n|^2 = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}|g|^2 dx
    [/tex]

I don't know where to go from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2009 #2
    What would [tex]\|f_n-f_m\|_2[/tex] be?

Can you even have a Cauchy sequence?

4. Apr 16, 2009 #3
    [tex]
    \|f_n-f_m\|_2 = 4\pi -\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}e^{i(m-n)x}dx-\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}e^{i(n-m)x}dx
    [/tex]

so when m and n are different, there exists a positive number less than the expression above. So I would say that no, you can't have a Cauchy sequence and so this shows the set of functions is not compact.

But I'm still having trouble with proving the set is closed.

5. Apr 16, 2009 #4
    Could show the set is complete as a metric space, hence closed.

Note: I guess technically there are Cauchy sequences, but only the sequences that eventually become constant.

6. Apr 16, 2009 #5
    Thanks for your help; I have to say though that I don't see how there are sequences that eventually become constant. I can't seem to find a sequence {fn(x)} that converges to a constant value given any x.

7. Apr 16, 2009 #6
    I mean a sequence [tex](a_1, a_2, a_3,\dots)[/tex] in X with the property that there exists x in X and an integer N such that for all n>N, a_n=x.

For example, the sequence [tex](f_2, f_8, f_8, f_8, f_8,\dots)[/tex] where all the rest of the "points" (i.e. functions) are f_8

Such a sequence is trivially Cauchy.

8. Apr 16, 2009 #7
    Okay, thanks again for your assistance.

9. Apr 16, 2009 #8
    Sorry, just one last question: isn't any subset S of [tex]{\cal L}^2[-\pi,\pi][/tex] bounded by the zero function g(x)=0, since for any [tex]f\in S[/tex]

[tex]
    \|f-g\|_2 = \left(\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}|f-g|^2 d\mu\right)^{1/2} = \left(\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}|f|^2 d\mu\right)^{1/2}
    [/tex]

which by definition is finite?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  10. Apr 16, 2009 #9
    No. Using g=0 is OK, but you would need one constant M such that for all f in S, [tex]\|f-g\|_2<M[/tex]

Fortunately, in this case it is easy to find such an M, with your g.

11. Apr 16, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All of your functions are orthogonal in L^2 and they are all of constant L^2 norm. Aren't you trying to prove the sequence is a closed set? It's a discrete set.

12. Apr 17, 2009 #11
    iomtt6076, I'm just double checking. You do know what [tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}e^{i(m-n)x}\,dx[/tex] is, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook