1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequences and Series of Functions Question (Rudin Chapter 7)

1. May 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is Exercise 8 from Chapter 7 of Rudin. It can be seen here:

http://grab.by/mGxY

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

It seems quite obvious to see that because [itex]\sum\left|c_n\right|[/itex] converges, [itex]f(x)[/itex] will converge uniformly.

However, I am having a difficult time understanding why [itex]f(x)[/itex] will be continuous at all [itex]x\neq{x_n}[/itex]

Any help with understanding this second part of the proof would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2
    Is this as simple as stating that there is a jump discontinuity at [itex]x=x_n[/itex], because the left-hand limit = 0, and the right-hand limit = 1?

4. May 19, 2013 #3

verty

Homework Helper

Which c_n's does I(x - x_n) choose to exclude from the sum?

5. May 19, 2013 #4
    I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Do you mean for me to say that [itex]c_n[/itex] is excluded from the sum when [itex]I(x-x_n)≤0[/itex]?

6. May 19, 2013 #5

verty

Homework Helper

I can't really say more without being too helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted