Who Developed the Sequential Stern-Gerlach Apparatus and Formalism?

In summary, the conversation discusses the origin of the sequential Stern-Gerlach apparati experiments and the development of the resulting formalism. The speaker also requests information on the meaning of certain signs on their question and is directed to a menu that explains the symbols.
phyfor
Wondering who did the sequential Stern-Gerlach apparati experiments and who developed the ensuing formalism. If you could tell me the original paper sources without much trouble that would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. I see two signs have been atached to my question; they are envelopes, one with an asterisk, the other one with what looks like a grenade, or a spark plug or a short thermometer. Can one of the moderators please tell me what the signs mean and where I can find their meaning in the future? Thanks.

If you hit "private messages" in the higher right corner. Then you'll get a menu on the left. There you hit "list subscribtions", then you see all threads that you have posted in.

Scroll then down, and there you'll see all the "envelopes" and an explanation.

What is Sequential Stern-Gerlach?

Sequential Stern-Gerlach is a physical experiment that demonstrates the quantization of angular momentum in quantum mechanics. It involves passing a beam of particles through a series of magnetic fields, which causes the particles to split into discrete beams based on their spin orientation.

How does Sequential Stern-Gerlach work?

The experiment begins with a beam of particles, such as atoms or electrons, passing through an initial magnetic field that splits the beam into two paths based on the particles' spin orientation. These two paths then go through subsequent magnetic fields, each splitting the beams further based on their spin. The final result is a series of discrete beams that correspond to different spin orientations.

What is the significance of Sequential Stern-Gerlach?

Sequential Stern-Gerlach provides evidence for the quantization of angular momentum in quantum mechanics. It also helps to confirm the concept of superposition, where particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and collapse into a single state when measured.

What types of particles can be used in Sequential Stern-Gerlach?

While the original experiment was performed using silver atoms, any particle with a non-zero spin can be used in Sequential Stern-Gerlach. This includes electrons, protons, neutrons, and other subatomic particles.

What applications does Sequential Stern-Gerlach have?

Sequential Stern-Gerlach has applications in various fields such as quantum computing, quantum information processing, and quantum cryptography. It is also useful for studying the properties of subatomic particles and understanding the behavior of quantum systems.