Series expansion of Sine Integral Si(x)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
yungman
Messages
5,741
Reaction score
291
This is not really a homework, I am trying to expand Si(x) into a series.The series expansion of Si(x) is given in articles:
[tex]Si(x)=\int_0^x \frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}d\theta=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac {(-1)^k x^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)(2k+1)!}[/tex]

This is my work, I just cannot get the right answer:
[tex]Si(x)=\int_0^x \frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}d\theta=\sum_0^m \frac{sin \theta_i}{\theta_i}\Delta\theta_i[/tex]

[tex]\sin \theta=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k \theta^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)!}\Rightarrow\;\frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k \theta^{2k}}{(2k+1)!}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta \theta_i = \frac x m\;\hbox{ and }\; \theta_i= i\Delta \theta_i =i\frac x m[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\;Si(x)=\int_0^x \frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}d\theta=\sum_0^m \frac{sin \theta_i}{\theta_i}\Delta\theta_i\;=\;\sum_0^m\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k\left (i\frac x m\right )^{2k}}{(2k+1)!}\frac x m\;=\;\sum_0^m\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^ki^{2k} x^{2k+1}}{m^{2k+1}(2k+1)!}[/tex]

I don't know how to get the answer, please help.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
This is not really a homework, I am trying to expand Si(x) into a series.The series expansion of Si(x) is given in articles:
[tex]Si(x)=\int_0^x \frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}d\theta=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac {(-1)^k x^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)(2k+1)!}[/tex]

This is my work, I just cannot get the right answer:
[tex]Si(x)=\int_0^x \frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}d\theta=\sum_0^m \frac{sin \theta_i}{\theta_i}\Delta\theta[/tex]

[tex]\sin \theta=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k \theta^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)!}\Rightarrow\;\frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k \theta^{2k}}{(2k+1)!}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta \theta_i = \frac x m\;\hbox{ and }\; \theta_i= i\Delta \theta_i =i\frac x m[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\;Si(x)=\int_0^x \frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}d\theta=\sum_0^m \frac{sin \theta_i}{\theta_i}\Delta\theta_i\;=\;\sum_0^m\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k\left (i\frac x m\right )^{2k}}{(2k+1)!}\frac x m\;=\;\sum_0^m\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^ki^{2k} x^{2k+1}}{m^{2k+1}(2k+1)!}[/tex]

I don't know how to get the answer, please help.

I have no idea what all the delta thetas are all about. You don't need to derive the formula for integrating a power. You have a series for ##\sin(\theta)##, divide it by ##\theta## and integrate term by term.
 
Dick said:
I have no idea what all the delta thetas are all about. You don't need to derive the formula for integrating a power. You have a series for ##\sin(\theta)##, divide it by ##\theta## and integrate term by term.

I missed the subscript i, ##\Delta\theta_i## is just the series representation of ##d\theta##. Where I chop the 0<##\theta##<x into m sections.

I want to verify and derive the equation given from articles.
 
Last edited:
yungman said:
##\Delta\theta## is just the series representation of ##d\theta##. Where I chop the 0<##\theta##<x into m sections.

I want to verify and derive the equation given from articles.

You don't have to chop into sections. Just integrate the power series term by term!
 
Dick said:
You don't have to chop into sections. Just integrate the power series term by term!

I got it! It's just that easy! Thanks.