1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series-Parallel Circuit problem, afraid I'm tripping over my work

1. May 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    physicshelp.jpg

I want to solve for the Req, the total I, and total Power first. Then, I want to solve for the V, I, and Power for ALL of the resisters.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm using V = IxR and P = IV for this. Also the formulas for finding Req for series (R1+R2) and parallel(1/R1 + 1/R2).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have solved just about everything except for the 60 ohm resister. I am not sure if my numbers are adding up correctly and if possible I would like some help. By help I mean could someone try solving this as well so I may check my answers and hopefully help me understand this stuff more cleary.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to show us some working. What did you get for the total resistance?

4. May 27, 2013 #3
    Total resistance was .1217, Req was 41.09, total power is .61

For the 10ohm:
    V = 1.22V
    I = .1217A
    P = .15W

For 20ohm:
    V = 1.51V
    I = .0756A
    P = .11W

For 30ohm:
    V = 2.27V
    I = .0756A
    P = .17W

I attempted the 50 and 40ohm resisters and im almost certain they're wrong. If someone could show me what they have for all of this and/or check my current answers, that'd be great.

The 40,50, and 60 ohm ones are giving me trouble.

5. May 27, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Agreed.
    I get Req = 31.09 + 10 = 41.09 Ohms
    Power = V2/R = 0.61 W

Agreed.

Then what I would do is calculate the voltage drop across the top group of resistors. Can be done several ways but using the potential divider rule...

V = (5 * 31.09)/(41.09) = 3.783V

Then apply the potential divider rule four times to that voltage to calculate the voltages on the following "four" resistors..

30Ohm
    20Ohm
    60Ohm
    and the 50//40 = 22.222.Ohm

Knowing the voltage on all the resistors you can calculate I and P for each including the 40 and 50Ohm individually.

For example the voltage drop across the 60 Ohm is...

= (3.783V * 60) / (60 + 50//40)
    = (3.783V * 60) / (60 + 22.222)
    = 2.83V

6. May 27, 2013 #5
    This is very helpful! We haven't learned the divider rule yet, but I'm sure we will. Thank you!

7. May 28, 2013 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah ok.

You can also do it by using Ohms law. for example the voltage drop across the top set is..

V = I * R
    = .1217A * 22.222.

The voltage divider rule typically allows you to avoid working ou the current explicitly. There is a primer here although perhaps skip straight to the section on the Resistive divider...

If you have ever covered "ratios" in other subjects it will be quite easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider

There is also a current divider rule but perhaps get to grips with the voltage divider first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_divider

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted