Series/Parallel Resistor Circuits (Diagonal Resistor)

In summary: By isolating the parallel resistors and then adding them in series with the other resistors, you were able to simplify the circuit and find the total resistance. Good job!
spaffy_carrot

Homework Statement

http://i.gyazo.com/c6b73ca3a53b7d36bce59a0aa5009d27.png

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Current and Voltage Laws, Resistors in parallel and in Series.

The Attempt at a Solution

The main thing confusing me is the diagonal 6 Ohms, not too sure what it is parallel too and how to add them, however the answer i did achieve was adding the 10, 6 and 3 in parallel and finally adding the 8 which gives an answer of 9.6 recurring Ohms, however within my lecture, a person answered the problem as 5 ohms and the lecturer said he was correct, this is mainly just confusion on my part.

Physics news on Phys.org
spaffy_carrot said:

Homework Statement

http://i.gyazo.com/c6b73ca3a53b7d36bce59a0aa5009d27.png

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Current and Voltage Laws, Resistors in parallel and in Series.

The Attempt at a Solution

The main thing confusing me is the diagonal 6 Ohms, not too sure what it is parallel too and how to add them, however the answer i did achieve was adding the 10, 6 and 3 in parallel and finally adding the 8 which gives an answer of 9.6 recurring Ohms, however within my lecture, a person answered the problem as 5 ohms and the lecturer said he was correct, this is mainly just confusion on my part.

For simple circuits such as this one, it helps to isolate a couple of resistors at a time, rather than trying to figure out how all of the resistors connect with one another at once.

For this circuit, first look at R3 and R4. How are these two resistors connected with respect to one another?

It also helps to redraw the circuit, keeping in mind to preserve the connections of the resistors with one another, as you progress.

SteamKing said:
For simple circuits such as this one, it helps to isolate a couple of resistors at a time, rather than trying to figure out how all of the resistors connect with one another at once.

For this circuit, first look at R3 and R4. How are these two resistors connected with respect to one another?

It also helps to redraw the circuit, keeping in mind to preserve the connections of the resistors with one another, as you progress.
Thanks a lot, just found the answer to be 5,

what I did was configure the circuit like so http://i.gyazo.com/6d2a8e8d117cd4be1ea9d53fde71e8fb.png

calculate the resisatnce in parallel to reduce the circuit basically to http://i.gyazo.com/e8a352411f710659b0df79bb98191096.png

which is also the same as http://i.gyazo.com/d27b9e7cc22cf9c63e836dcfa03d8ebe.png

which equals a total of 5 ohms, was this deduction the correct way to approach?

1. What is a series resistor circuit?

A series resistor circuit is a circuit in which resistors are connected one after the other, with the same current flowing through each resistor. This means that the total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances.

2. What is a parallel resistor circuit?

A parallel resistor circuit is a circuit in which resistors are connected side by side, with the same voltage applied across each resistor. This means that the total resistance in a parallel circuit is less than the smallest individual resistance.

3. What is a diagonal resistor?

A diagonal resistor is a resistor that is connected between two nodes in a series/parallel resistor circuit, creating a diagonal path. This resistor helps to balance the total resistance in the circuit.

4. How do you calculate the total resistance in a series/parallel resistor circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances. The diagonal resistor can be included in these calculations by adding its resistance to the total resistance in a series circuit or by using a special formula for calculating total resistance in a diagonal resistor circuit.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a series/parallel resistor circuit?

The main advantage of a series/parallel resistor circuit is that it allows for more control over the total resistance in the circuit, as well as the ability to balance the resistance. However, this type of circuit can be more complex and difficult to design and troubleshoot compared to a simple series or parallel circuit.